120630Re: Determining if Vim is running in text-console mode or X Windows

  • Marvin Renich
    Feb 1, 2011
      * Steve Laurie <mr.steven.laurie@...> [110201 09:17]:
      > Hi Marvin,
      >
      > On my system, "gui_running" only distinguishes between Vim and gvim.
      >
      > I put let my_has_gui_running = has("gui_running") early in my
      > ~/.vimrc file and did :echo my_has_gui_running
      >
      > In Vim run from the black and white tty text console, I get 0;
      > In Vim run insde of gnome-terminal, I also get 0;
      > In gvim, I get a 1
      >
      > That's why it's not working. I'm trying to distinguish between tty
      > text mode and X mode.
      > Not between Vim and gvim.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Steve

      Ah, you want to distinguish between running in a terminal on a text
      console and running in a terminal emulator under X. Does this do what
      you want?

      if $DISPLAY == ""
      let is_x_terminal = 0
      else