119939Re: vim --remote over ssh -X

  • Bastian Venthur
    Jan 3, 2011
      Am 03.01.2011 12:01, schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
      > On 03/01/11 10:42, Bastian Venthur wrote:

      [...]

      >>> T'ain't a bug, it's a feature:
      >>
      >> I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
      >> machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
      >> --remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
      >> my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
      >> remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
      >> gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?
      >>
      >>> To edit remote files in the local Vim, see :help pi_netrw.txt -- as
      >>> apparently you know.
      >>
      >> I really want to avoid that, since I don't want to browse the rather
      >> complicated tree on the remote system within vim, but rather with ssh.

      [...]

      > Maybe I'm obtuse; but what's the problem with browsing the "rather
      > complicated tree" in a netrw directory window?
      >
      > gvim scp://user@remote/path/

      Yeah, I know. I just happen to find it more convenient to browse the FS
      with my shell and open files with gvim --remote as needed. The question
      is still if the above behavior is a bug or not. Clearly gvim --remote
      SOMEFILE does *something* with my local gvim but it does not load
      SOMEFILE but an emtpy one. I think it is a bug but I'm not sure.

      Cheers,

      Bastian

      --
      Bastian Venthur http://venthur.de