119934Re: vim --remote over ssh -X

    Jan 3, 2011
      On 03/01/11 10:42, Bastian Venthur wrote:
      > Hi
      > Am 03.01.2011 08:45, schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
      >> On 02/01/11 19:05, Bastian Venthur wrote:
      >>> Hi,
      >>> when I log into a remote machine with ssh -X and start a local gvim
      >>> session, i can see the local gvim with:
      >>> user@remote$ gvim --serverlist
      >>> GVIM
      >>> To control that it is really my local gvim session, I repeat it after
      >>> closing the local gvim and the serverlist is empty.
      >>> when I want to open a remote file with the --remote option
      >>> user@remote$ gvim --remote test.py
      >>> an empty file gets loaded in my local gvim. Is this a bug? If not, is
      >>> there a similar way to edit remote files locally? I know that it's
      >>> possible to use :e scp:user@remote/path/to/file but I find it more
      >>> convenient to call vim direclty within the remote filesystem.
      >> T'ain't a bug, it's a feature:
      > I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
      > machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
      > --remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
      > my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
      > remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
      > gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?
      >> To edit remote files in the local Vim, see :help pi_netrw.txt -- as
      >> apparently you know.
      > I really want to avoid that, since I don't want to browse the rather
      > complicated tree on the remote system within vim, but rather with ssh.
      > Cheers,
      > Bastian

      Maybe I'm obtuse; but what's the problem with browsing the "rather
      complicated tree" in a netrw directory window?

      gvim scp://user@remote/path/

      with the trailing / so netrw knows it's a directory; and from there, hit
      <Enter> on any filename to open it, or on any subdirectory name to
      browse it (or hit o instead to open it in a new split-window)

      7. You finally do take that vacation, but only after buying a cellular modem
      and a laptop.