119933Re: vim --remote over ssh -X

  • Bastian Venthur
    Jan 3, 2011
      Hi

      Am 03.01.2011 08:45, schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
      > On 02/01/11 19:05, Bastian Venthur wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> when I log into a remote machine with ssh -X and start a local gvim
      >> session, i can see the local gvim with:
      >>
      >> user@remote$ gvim --serverlist
      >> GVIM
      >>
      >> To control that it is really my local gvim session, I repeat it after
      >> closing the local gvim and the serverlist is empty.
      >>
      >> when I want to open a remote file with the --remote option
      >>
      >> user@remote$ gvim --remote test.py
      >>
      >> an empty file gets loaded in my local gvim. Is this a bug? If not, is
      >> there a similar way to edit remote files locally? I know that it's
      >> possible to use :e scp:user@remote/path/to/file but I find it more
      >> convenient to call vim direclty within the remote filesystem.

      > T'ain't a bug, it's a feature:

      I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
      machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
      --remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
      my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
      remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
      gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?

      > To edit remote files in the local Vim, see :help pi_netrw.txt -- as
      > apparently you know.

      I really want to avoid that, since I don't want to browse the rather
      complicated tree on the remote system within vim, but rather with ssh.

      Cheers,

      Bastian

      --
      Bastian Venthur http://venthur.de