117931RE: Pain at Vim Tips wiki

  • John Beckett
    Oct 4, 2010
      Oivvio Polite wrote:
      > Just out of curiosity, how was the decision made that the vim
      > wiki should be hosted at wikia? Wouldn't be natural for a
      > project of this size to have a wiki completely under its own
      > control?

      Some history of the wiki is available here:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:About

      While the Vim Tips wiki should be hosted on a system completely
      under our control, it was decided at the time (early 2007) that
      relying on a private system operated by a Vim enthusiast may
      lead to long term problems if that enthusiast were hit by the
      proverbial bus. Indeed, the whole Vim mailing list ground to a
      halt for several weeks in 2007 when the hosting server suddenly
      became unavailable (that's why we are now on Google Groups).

      I have recently received a good offer of free hosting, but now
      we have the additional problem that forking would cause, in
      addition to any concerns regarding buses.

      John