117215[bug?] \zs in regex not working with ":syn match ..."

  • Dominique PellĂ©
    Sep 3, 2010
      Given the fillowing text in a buffer:

      ABCDEF
      GHIJKL

      The following command does not highlight anything
      and I don't see why:

      :syn clear | syn match Error 'DEF\_.\zsGHI'

      Nothing is highlighted. I would expect GHI to be highlighted.

      Is it a bug?

      You can reproduce it with:

      $ (echo ABCDEF; echo GHIJKL) | \
      vim -u NONE -N \
      -c 'syntax on' \
      -c ":syn clear | syn match Error 'DEF\_.\zsGHI'" -

      If I remove \zs (start of match) then text is highlighted as expected:

      :syn clear | syn match Error 'DEF\_.GHI'

      If I use \ze, then text is also highlighted as expected:

      :syn clear | syn match Error 'DEF\_.\zeGHI'

      But somehow it does not work when I try to use \zs.
      I'm using Vim-7.3.3 on Linux x86.

      -- Dominique