116209Re: Starting an online VIM vs Other Text Editors battle.. anyone interested?

  • tommed
    Aug 3, 2010
      @Teemu - thanks for your comments.

      The ideas you throw out there for the project are already covered by
      places like vim.org and commandlinefu.com. I am not interested in
      covering something which has already been done so well.

      I think the site is for people who will find this kind of competition
      enjoyable and not for people who find uploading a video to YouTube a
      hassle. The videos will be very short (that's the whole point!) so it
      shouldn't make for laborious watching, quite the contrary!

      Listening to your concerns, it is clear this site may not be for you,
      as it may not be for everyone! There is no requirement for learning
      screen recording software, as you could always use a video camera +
      the learning curve for installing and using screen recorders isn't
      exactly high (especially compared to using these editors!!).

      I think back to when I started to learn VI and I remember how much I
      wish there were videos out there to show me the benefits of using an
      editor for every day use. I didn't understand the differences between
      Emacs and VI (true-be-told I still don't really!!!) like each of their
      strengths and weaknesses. I realise the idea isn't perfect as the time
      measures the user's ability to undertake the tasks; but with the
      transcript attached; it should make good competition and a great
      learning base for others.