116205Re: Starting an online VIM vs Other Text Editors battle.. anyone interested?

  • tommed
    Aug 3 2:55 AM
      Hi Marc,

      With regard to cheating; it doesn't matter what we say (eg. "use a
      camcorder and have a clock in view") there will always be ways to
      cheat at games! Because we don't currently have any prizes; I'm hoping
      that people will realise there isn't really much to be made by
      cheating!!

      Also, the transcripts should help us decide whether or not what they
      are doing is possible in the time they are doing it.

      I have been thinking of whether or not we should start the timer from
      opening the file; or from the text editor fully loaded. I realise that
      a lot of the heavy-duty IDEs will have features that are only possible
      due to their massive size... I can see arguments on both sides, so we
      can probably figure this out through trial an error?

      Because the challenges will vary so much; the large IDEs will
      obviously not always be the ideal tool; but I think if we took the
      time to start the IDE into consideration; Eclipse and Visual Studios
      will probably be completely out of the equation... however, may be
      they should be as we have to wait for them to load anyway before we
      use them in real-life situations..? (One of the reasons I switched
      from Visual Studios to VIM at work anyway!)

      I'd say for now, we could probably start with the text file open, but
      then play it by ear?