114980Vim - plugins, ftplugins, buffers and syntax coloring

  • Vladimir Mitrovic
    Jun 7, 2010
      Hello everyone.

      I'm still pretty new to Vim, and some things are just not clear to me. I
      Googled, I RTFMed but did not find solution to my problems. So I post here.
      :)

      1. I want to use Vim for coding purposes. I mainly program in Python, but
      recently I started learning haXe. That's where I got into troubles. I
      downloaded the haxe.vim syntax file and put it in my ~/.vim/plugin/
      directory. Since global plugins load at startup (I made sure it was the case
      by adding echo "Hello from ~/.vim/plugin/haxe.vim" at the end of haxe.vim
      :)), everything looks great when I edit a .hx file with Vim (:set syntax
      returns syntax=haxe). But when I switch buffers (either by :next or by using
      MinuBufExplorer), syntax coloring is lost (:set syntax returns syntax=).
      Then what I do is I type :source ~/.vim/plugin/haxe.vim and everything is
      alright again.
      So my first question is: WHY this happens and HOW do I prevent it from
      happening?

      2. Since there are different tab spacing conventions for different
      languages, I want to set it according to my preferences. With Python, I put
      a bunch of setlocal directives for tabstop, smarttab, number etc. and it
      works fine. Still, sometimes when I switch buffers, I lose syntax coloring
      but I'm able to bring it back by typing :syntax on.
      So I wanted to do the same with haXe. I didn't know I couldn't just write a
      haxe.vim file, put it in ~/.vim/ftplugin/ and start coding, only later I
      learned that I had to put an autocmd for *.hx to set filetype=haxe on
      BufRead and BufNewFile. But when I did that, haxe.vim from ftplugin loaded,
      but I lost syntax coloring (altthough both haxe.vim loaded.) My second
      question: how to make settings from ftplugin/haxe.vim not overwrite
      plugin/haxe.vim (I guess that's what this is all doing.)

      Thanks in advance.