114878Re: Progress indicator for :TOhtml command

  • Ben Fritz
    Jun 2, 2010
      On Jun 2, 3:13 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...> wrote:
      > On Wed, June 2, 2010 1:04 am, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
      > > - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I
      > > was
      > >   doing this with a %d/%d printf).
      > > I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be
      > > necessary,
      > > and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
      > > reason to include them?
      > Yes. I can't see the progressbar otherwise. It is not updating for me. So
      > I suggest, enabling it again.

      Interesting. Is this true, even with the progress bar on the top
      window as in the latest version? If it is on the bottom, the screen
      clears again for a redraw immediately after the bottom status line is
      drawn, making it very hard to see the progress bar...which is why I
      put it on the top.

      I see from :help :redrawstatus,

      Useful to update the status line(s) when 'statusline'
      includes an item that doesn't cause automatic

      But we're setting the statusline to a new (static) value...surely the
      statusline is redrawn when 'statusline' is set to something new?

      If we leave the progress bar on the top window (which I like...any
      disagreements?) we need to find the appropriate place to put
      the :redrawstatus command, so that we redraw the correct window's
      status line. I don't think it's a great idea to use redrawstatus!,
      although a "normal" use case is probably just the two windows, so
      maybe it's not that much more expensive?

      I toyed with the idea of only updating the 'statusline' option and
      calling :redrawstatus if the progress bar has changed position in a
      visible way, but on my system (Windows XP, gvim 7.2.437) this wasn't

      On an unrelated note...should we continue this on vim_use, vim_dev, or
      both? I original posted to both groups so that I could potentially get
      more comments, but now it seems we're deep in developer mode.