113505Re: Search & Replace

  • Kunal Bajpai
    Apr 1 9:40 PM
      To this html code I wanted to select the text between the tags and replace the original text with \n character removed. There is a more complex example that I wanted to ask, here is the problem:

      Original
      ______________________________
      <strong>Gilbert </strong>
      Senior</p>
      _____________________________

      After search & replace:
      ______________________________
      _____________________________

      I hope you really got what I was asking.

      TIA

      On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
      Kunal Bajpai wrote:
      I have been using Vim for about 3-4 months and am a student web
      developer. I am still learning Vim and need help with a command.
      I am editing some web pages using web pages many a times I have to
      edit web pages. Here is what I want:

      ______________________________
      Gilbert
      Senior</p>

      I need a command that selects the whole html code including the
      newline character.

      While you can include "\n" in your search pattern for the newline,

       /<p>Mike\nGilbert\nSenior<\/p>

      you don't specify *what* you want to do with it once  you've selected it.  Do you want to replace all or a portion with something?  Do you want to indent it?  Capitalize it?

      With more information, it may be possible to get a solution to modify all your files in one pass.  You may also read up in the help regarding windo/argdo/bufdo/tabdo  for performing an action on a collection of files (since you mention multiple pages).

      -tim