112458Re: mass delete words based on spell

  • corykendall
    Mar 2, 2010

      On Mar 2, 9:49 am, Tim Chase <v...@...> wrote:

      > The problems I'd have with doing that are mostly "I have to think
      > about things" issues:
      >
      > - do I have more than 1000 items and may need to re-execute the
      > macro? (having 'ruler' showing the number of lines in the file
      > might help)
      >
      > - does "]s" break the repeated macro execution if there isn't a
      > bad-spell match, or does it continue to delete the remainder of
      > the 1000 things after the last bad-spelling is found?
      >
      > - do I have something valuable in register "a" that I don't want
      > to tromp with my macro; or the flip side of "what register do I
      > have that's available"?
      >
      > - if there's a bad-spell word as the first line, does issuing "k"
      > ("go up from line #1", possibly an error-ish condition) after
      > deleting it trigger the macro-recording to stop?
      >
      > - can I issue this from anywhere in the file or do I have to do
      > it from the top (and does my 'wrapscan' setting change its behavior)?
      >
      > That's a lot more thinking than I like to do ;-)
      >
      > The :g or :s versions can be used in a mapping and trusted to do
      > what they should without any of the above issues (except perhaps
      > tromping the search register).
      >
      > -tim

      Good responses both, thanks guys.

      I think I agree that if you want as repeatable solution, an ex
      expression is better because it's more readable, and rememberable.

      But if I need a one-off solution, I find it easier to record a
      macro... Fix the first occurance, navigate to the next occurance in a
      repeatable way, and then execute as many times as necessary. I also
      like that I can run a macro once... twice... three times... each time
      making sure it worked correctly, and then launch it on the whole file.

      Perhaps once I get more comfortable with regular expressions I'll
      change my tune :)