112346Re: Programmatically detect a current "highlight" setting?

    Mar 1, 2010
      On 01/03/10 08:42, Wincent Colaiuta wrote:
      > I'm writing a plug-in and want to temporarily hide the cursor.
      >
      > It would be really neat if I could do "highlight Cursor NONE" and
      > later restore the highlight setting to whatever it was before.
      >
      > But I am not sure how to capture the old setting. Evidently "highlight
      > Cursor" _echoes_ the current setting, but doesn't actually return
      > anything that I could capture programmatically.
      >
      > Anything I can do?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Wincent

      see
      :help :redir

      You should reformat the captured string(s) to remove the xxx and add
      :hi! at the start.

      A couple of caveats:
      - a different reformat will be needed for a linked group, to replace
      "foo xxx links to bar" by "hi! link foo bar"
      - You may need to prefix the capturing :hi command by 0verbose in order
      to make sure that your screen capture does _not_ include where the
      highlight was defined (see :help :verbose).

      To understand this important story, you have to understand how the
      telephone company works. Your telephone is connected to a local
      computer, which is in turn connected to a regional computer, which is
      in turn connected to a loudspeaker the size of a garbage truck on the
      lawn of Edna A. Bargewater of Lawrence, Kan.

      Whenever you talk on the phone, your local computer listens in. If it
      suspects you're going to discuss an intimate topic, it notifies the
      computer above it, which listens in and decides whether to alert the
      one above it, until finally, if you really humiliate yourself, maybe
      break down in tears and tell your closest friend about a sordid
      incident from your past involving a seedy motel, a neighbor's spouse,
      an entire religious order, a garden hose and six quarts of tapioca
      pudding, the top computer feeds your conversation into Edna's
      loudspeaker, and she and her friends come out on the porch to listen
      and drink gin and laugh themselves silly.
      -- Dave Barry, "Won't It Be Just Great Owning Our Own
      Phones?"