111570Re: backspace not working

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Feb 1, 2010
      On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Alexander Dietz wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 06:53, Bee <200309@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Alexander Dietz wrote:
      > > > I have a problem with vim I could not solve after extensive
      > > > googling and trying out. I am using vi on a xterm and whenever I
      > > > try to use backspace to delete the character LEFT of the cursor,
      > > > the RIGHT character is deleted. There is no difference between
      > > > the backspace and delete key. How can I change to the desired
      > > > behaviour?
      > >
      > > Try stating with your vimrc disabled:
      > >
      > > vim -u NONE
      > >
      > > Does it work ok?
      > >

      > absolutely not, its worse than before. I get ^? characters (for
      > backspace) and I cannot navigate using the arrow keys anymore.

      I just ran into the same problem on a virtual host. The following
      worked for me inside my .vimrc:

      set t_kb=^?
      (where the '^?' was entered by typing Ctrl+V Backspace in insert mode.
      NOT circumflex + question mark -- see :help i_CTRL-V )

      In your .vimrc that you included in your earlier message, you appeared
      to not type (in insert mode) Ctrl+V Backspace, but rather had the
      literal text (^) followed by (h), which seems backwards from what you
      want anyway. (If you're getting ^? when you type 'Backspace', you
      should set t_kb to that value... but using the literal terminal
      characters.)

      --
      Best,
      Ben