110606Re: Split window automatically when opening 2 or 3 files

  • Ben Fritz
    Dec 31, 2009
      On Dec 30, 3:37 pm, Brock Henry <brock.he...@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I want to have Vim (on Windows), automatically split the window if I open
      > two files (using right-click explorer integration - Open in Single VIM
      > Window).
      >
      > Actually, a new right-click integration that did this (Open in split VIM
      > Window), would be perfect.
      >
      > Is there anyway to do this?

      You want to have Windows insert the -o or -O flags to Vim prior to the
      file list. You can do this in a few places:

      1. You can use a file association so that right-clicking on several
      selected files and selecting "Open" will do what you want. This will
      also let you double-click to open a single file in a new Vim. See
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Windows_file_associations for details.

      2. You can use the Windows "Send To" menu to allow you to right-click
      on one of the selected files and chose a command from the "Send To"
      submenu. See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Add_Vim_to_Windows_Send_To_menu
      for details.

      3. You can find the registry entry that contols the "Edit files in
      single Vim" context menu entry and edit that with regedit. I'm not
      sure if we have a tip on this, I vaguely remember seeing something to
      this effect.