108864Re: Align \tsp functionality from external program ?

  • meino.cramer@gmx.de
    Nov 1, 2009
      Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> [09-11-01 12:24]:

      > Hi meino.cramer!
      >
      > On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:
      >
      > > No, it is not, since beside other attriibutes the filename, filesize
      > > and timestamps occupy different amount of space from file to file if
      > > find is applied to a complete directory tree (too much files to cope
      > > with in one buffer) being huige enough.
      >
      > You can try as - already mentioned - using find -printf. I am not sure,
      > this works always, cause it seems it is not mentioned in SuSv3. An
      > alternative would be to pipe the output of find through awk and using
      > its printf statements, you should be able to get it aligned and formated
      > nicely.
      >
      > regards,
      > Christian

      hi christian.brandt

      awk is processing its input line by line. Its script applies
      to one line and with the next line of input the previous one
      is forgotten -- or I have to program a script which read the
      input twice:
      First run to determine the correct alignment spaces, second
      run to apply those -- and this will become more of a hack
      due to the nature of awks processing the input.
      But as mentioned I want to 'use' a tool, not to program one.

      I think, the best will be to hack one in C -- this will run by
      far faster then the script processing done by awk.

      Thanks for your help.

      Keep hacking!
      mcc