106269Re: Mapping does not work

  • Charles Campbell
    Jul 31, 2009
      J.A.J. Pater wrote:
      > One way or another a mapping I'm trying to implement doesn't work.
      > I'm trying to paste with CTRL-V only in insert mode and keep using
      > CTRL-V for visual in other modes.
      >
      > In my .vimrc I've got:
      >
      > imap <C-V> "+gP
      >
      > The only thing I get when pushing CTRL-V in insert mode is the literal
      > text "+gP
      > But not the desired effect: pasting.
      >
      > I tried with inoremap also, but to no avail.
      >
      > What could be wrong?

      The imap takes effect during insert mode; it does not, by itself, change
      modes. In other
      words, the "+gP is acting like keys that you type. Obviously, what you
      want is what
      "+gP does in normal mode; hence, your imap needs to leave insert mode
      and enter
      normal mode. Turns out there's a convenient one-shot insert-mode
      command for that
      (ctrl-o):

      imap <c-v> <c-o>"+gP

      Regards,