104750Re: Opening compressed files without .gz extension

  • Matt Wozniski
    Jun 3, 2009
      On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Keith Kaple wrote:

      > What is the easiest way to add a file extension so that vim sees it as a compressed file and uses the builtin ability to open compressed files?
      >
      > I'm faced with a process that produces .gzo files (gzip format) that can be opened with 'zcat foo.gzo | vim -', but seems it would be cleaner to be able to "alias" any .gzo extension to be treated as a .gz, not sure how to do that..
      >
      > Tried hacking gzip.vim plugin but couldn't get that to work.  Any suggestions?

      Should have been a piece of cake to do it that way... Off the top of
      my head, this should do the trick:

      cp /usr/share/vim/vim72/plugin/gzip.vim ~/.vim/plugin
      sed -i 's/\.gz\>/.gz,.gzo/' ~/.vim/plugin/gzip.vim

      ie, just add .gzo after every file pattern matching .gz

      ~Matt