102949Re: selecting a URL

  • Dotan Cohen
    Mar 31, 2009
      > Not to sound flip about it, but there's only so much you can do to guard
      > against retardery.  If someone *insists* on including, bad enough
      > spaces, but *punctuation* into filenames and complete urls, then *he's*
      > the one with the problem.  Garbage in, garbage out.  If the link gets
      > screwed up so that it's broken (ie, can't click-through it), then too
      > bad.

      Well, it is standards-compliant. The same was once said about spaces
      in filenames, but look how common that is today. You and I may hate
      it, but so long as the RFC / filesystem supports punctuation in URLs /
      filenames then we can't complain when users use that feature.

      > I always try to separate urls with at least a space, eg, at the end of a
      > sentence, so there's no confusion whether/not that trailing dot belongs.

      Be conservative with what you send, and liberal with waht you receive, no?

      > Me personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to contort a 'vim' script
      > to deal with crap like that.

      It depends on what the job was, I suppose.

      > But *publishers* (like wiki) who merge urls with other surrounding
      > text/punctuation?  That's unforgiveable.  Someone should edit the
      > page/entry itself to fix it.

      It's perfectly legal in the standards. You might want to try to change
      wikipedia policy, however.

      Dotan Cohen