Re: :set iminsert=2 not working in Korean IME

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2003
      Sangpil Yoon wrote:

      > > I find it strange that an exception is made for one language. I don't
      > > see why Korean is so special that we need to make an exception for it.
      >
      > Due to a bug in Korean IME. ImmSetOpenStatus() call has no effect in
      > Korea IME. I've confirmed that this bug exists in Windows 98 and 2000,
      > but have no idea whether this is the case on other windows variants.
      >
      > > Isn't this rather connected to the specific IME used?
      >
      > Yes it is. But aren't these kind of things what we programmers always do? ;)

      Over the years many small changes have been made to the multi-byte code
      to handle exceptions. The code is getting more and more complicated,
      while there is no person that understands how it all works. Mostly to
      be blamed on every language/IME to introduce its own problems.

      We should keep in mind that the situation of people on different
      computers may cause various side effects of a code change. Therefore we
      must be as specific as we can and try to situations where it would
      _not_ work. For example, suppose that someone installs an IME that does
      work correctly, how does the code change affect him?

      The least we need to do is add a comment to the changed code that
      explains why it is done this way. That is very useful when solving
      another problem later.

      141. You'd rather go to http://www.weather.com/ than look out your window.