Re: :set iminsert=2 not working in Korean IME

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
      Taro Muraoka wrote:

      > > Sorry about that, I didn't know that.
      >
      > No problem.
      >
      > > So I fixed this again based on your patch. This time I've added a macro
      > > _IS_KOREAN() which returns nonzero if the current keyboard layout is
      > > korean and made IME_CMODE_NATIVE unset based on this return value.
      >
      > Yes, it seems good for me. But to make it surely and safely, we should
      > control conversion-status for only Korean. Please check attached patch
      > for details.

      I'm glad you are checking these changes and proposing a correction.

      I find it strange that an exception is made for one language. I don't
      see why Korean is so special that we need to make an exception for it.
      Isn't this rather connected to the specific IME used?

      Or does the other patch already take care of this?

      --
      Birthdays are healthy. The more you have them, the longer you live.

    • Sangpil Yoon [sangpil]
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2003
        > I find it strange that an exception is made for one language. I don't
        > see why Korean is so special that we need to make an exception for it.

        Due to a bug in Korean IME. ImmSetOpenStatus() call has no effect in
        Korea IME. I've confirmed that this bug exists in Windows 98 and 2000,
        but have no idea whether this is the case on other windows variants.

        > Isn't this rather connected to the specific IME used?

        Yes it is. But aren't these kind of things what we programmers always do? ;)

        Regards,
        Sangpil Yoon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2003
          Sangpil Yoon wrote:

          > > I find it strange that an exception is made for one language. I don't
          > > see why Korean is so special that we need to make an exception for it.
          >
          > Due to a bug in Korean IME. ImmSetOpenStatus() call has no effect in
          > Korea IME. I've confirmed that this bug exists in Windows 98 and 2000,
          > but have no idea whether this is the case on other windows variants.
          >
          > > Isn't this rather connected to the specific IME used?
          >
          > Yes it is. But aren't these kind of things what we programmers always do? ;)

          Over the years many small changes have been made to the multi-byte code
          to handle exceptions. The code is getting more and more complicated,
          while there is no person that understands how it all works. Mostly to
          be blamed on every language/IME to introduce its own problems.

          We should keep in mind that the situation of people on different
          computers may cause various side effects of a code change. Therefore we
          must be as specific as we can and try to situations where it would
          _not_ work. For example, suppose that someone installs an IME that does
          work correctly, how does the code change affect him?

          The least we need to do is add a comment to the changed code that
          explains why it is done this way. That is very useful when solving
          another problem later.

          141. You'd rather go to http://www.weather.com/ than look out your window.