FriBidi

  • Behnam Esfahbod
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29 1:31 PM
      On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Behnam Esfahbod wrote:
      > > FriBibi is an implementation of Unicode Bidi alg. and it's Arabic-script
      > > prof. and current mentainer is Behdad, my brother and coworker, and we (I
      > > and Amir) want to use FriBidi for this work. [as we know many about it,
      > > and we couldn't write another special as good as it]
      >
      > Oh, if you have written code yourself and are willing to let me include
      > it with Vim under the Vim license, then that part is taken care of.
      > Note that the Vim license is very close to the GPL, mostly a bit more
      > free.
      >
      > Since I don't know Arabic myself I can hardly do any work on this.
      > Hopefully you will be able to find the right place to add new stuff to
      > Vim. You can always ask me if you have specific questions.

      I forgot to say that now FriBidi is a GNU Project and the GNU
      implementation of Unicode BiDi algorithm. So I don't know that we can use
      it in another license, or cannot.

      If not, I think we must use FriBidi to start and make our work on GPL,
      then make a non-GPL library for the main code.

      We think the most important parts are:
      - BiDi alg. for view, and edit;
      - Making Cursor work on Bidi (in both Logical and Vitual modes);
      - Normalization and Search Tools;

      As someone said in freenode.net/#vim, Vim uses bash-tools for filtering,
      (i.e. GNU sort for sort filter) and so we don't need to do anything for
      this. :)

      But ASAP we will update farsi.c for new ISIRI Persian Keyboard Standard
      and Unicode. (in about a week)

      --
      Behnam Esfahbod ......[ http://esfahbod.info | behnam(a)esfahbod.info ]
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30 4:40 AM
        Behnam Esfahbod wrote:

        > > Oh, if you have written code yourself and are willing to let me include
        > > it with Vim under the Vim license, then that part is taken care of.
        > > Note that the Vim license is very close to the GPL, mostly a bit more
        > > free.

        [...]
        > I forgot to say that now FriBidi is a GNU Project and the GNU
        > implementation of Unicode BiDi algorithm. So I don't know that we can use
        > it in another license, or cannot.
        >
        > If not, I think we must use FriBidi to start and make our work on GPL,
        > then make a non-GPL library for the main code.

        If you wrote the code, then you can distribute it under several
        licenses. The GPL doesn't mention this, but in discussions about making
        the Vim license GPL compatible this became clear. Thus when you
        distribute your software under the GPL, you can _also_ distribute it
        under another license. You can even sell it and keep parts of the code
        secret (not that this is a logical thing to do).

        Thus you can give me permission to include the code with Vim under the
        Vim license. That doesn't change what happens with the same code under
        the GPL.

        > We think the most important parts are:
        > - BiDi alg. for view, and edit;
        > - Making Cursor work on Bidi (in both Logical and Vitual modes);
        > - Normalization and Search Tools;

        That sounds very useful, and at the same time quite complicated to
        implement. The relation between text in the buffer and the cursor
        position will no longer be that simple. But since we already have to
        take care of the 'rightleft' option, we don't have to start from
        scratch.

        > As someone said in freenode.net/#vim, Vim uses bash-tools for filtering,
        > (i.e. GNU sort for sort filter) and so we don't need to do anything for
        > this. :)

        You can always use external tools if they are available. But it's slow
        for normal editing.

        > But ASAP we will update farsi.c for new ISIRI Persian Keyboard Standard
        > and Unicode. (in about a week)

        Is this really useful? Until now I thought this code was a dead end.

        2. You kiss your girlfriend's home page.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30 5:51 AM
          Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

          > > Thus you can give me permission to include the code with Vim under the
          > > Vim license. That doesn't change what happens with the same code under
          > > the GPL.
          >
          > I am the copyright holder of FriBidi. I think I can give
          > permissions for inclusion of a single version of the code in Vim,
          > but dealing with double licensing is a headache. BTW, better
          > fribidi be used as an external library. Its LGPLed, so no
          > problem at all.

          In that case a configure check would need to be used. Don't know how it
          would work on MS-Windows though. Is there a fribidi.dll available?
          Then it could be loaded dynamically, like we do with other optional
          libraries.

          9. All your daydreaming is preoccupied with getting a faster connection to the
          net: 28.8...ISDN...cable modem...T1...T3.