Problem with printing files (:hardcopy)

  • Valery Kondakoff
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hello, Bram!

      Friday, April 4, 2003, you wrote to me:

      >> BM> Are you sure you are not using a multi-byte encoding? The printing only
      >> BM> works for 8 bit encodings.
      >>
      >> Excuse, pls, my ignorance: I'm not sure I understand the difference
      >> between 8 bit and multi-byte encodings. The texts, that I'm trying to
      >> print are in cp1251 encoding. Is it '8 bit' or 'multy-byte' encoding?

      BM> It's an 8 bit encoding. But I assume your 'encoding' is utf-8, which
      BM> is what matters.

      Ah. Yes, I set 'encoding' to 'utf-8', because this is the only
      'encoding' settings, that allow encodings conversion. I mentioned this
      in my previous message.

      BM> Printing utf-8 is somewhere on the todo list, but it's not easy to
      BM> implement. Limited support for conversion from 'encoding' to
      BM> 'fileencoding' was suggested. Don't expect it soon...

      OK. Thank you for explanation.

      >> Help says that "multi-byte" characters are replaced with spaces when
      >> printing. And each Russian character in cp1251 encoding is replaced
      >> with two another (non-blank) characters.

      BM> Strange, it appears to work correctly for me.

      This is fully reproducible on several PCs. The "wrong" characters
      looks exactly as they were pasted to/from system clipboard before
      applying latest clipboard patch.

      Valery Kondakoff
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

      np: The Cure - Bloodflowers (Bloodflowers) [stopped]