Re: Problem with printing files (:hardcopy)

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 12:27 PM
      Valery Kondakoff wrote:

      > Thursday, April 3, 2003, you wrote to me:
      >
      > >> 2 Bram: do I need to perform some additional testing to make the
      > >> problem clear? How can I help you with this?
      >
      > BM> Are you sure you are not using a multi-byte encoding? The printing only
      > BM> works for 8 bit encodings.
      >
      > Excuse, pls, my ignorance: I'm not sure I understand the difference
      > between 8 bit and multi-byte encodings. The texts, that I'm trying to
      > print are in cp1251 encoding. Is it '8 bit' or 'multy-byte' encoding?

      It's an 8 bit encoding. But I assume your 'encoding' is utf-8, which
      is what matters.

      Printing utf-8 is somewhere on the todo list, but it's not easy to
      implement. Limited support for conversion from 'encoding' to
      'fileencoding' was suggested. Don't expect it soon...

      > Help says that "multi-byte" characters are replaced with spaces when
      > printing. And each Russian character in cp1251 encoding is replaced
      > with two another (non-blank) characters.

      Strange, it appears to work correctly for me.

      --
      WOMAN: Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh -- how d'you do?
      ARTHUR: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, King of the Britons.

    • Valery Kondakoff
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 12:54 PM
        Hello, Bram!

        Friday, April 4, 2003, you wrote to me:

        >> BM> Are you sure you are not using a multi-byte encoding? The printing only
        >> BM> works for 8 bit encodings.
        >>
        >> Excuse, pls, my ignorance: I'm not sure I understand the difference
        >> between 8 bit and multi-byte encodings. The texts, that I'm trying to
        >> print are in cp1251 encoding. Is it '8 bit' or 'multy-byte' encoding?

        BM> It's an 8 bit encoding. But I assume your 'encoding' is utf-8, which
        BM> is what matters.

        Ah. Yes, I set 'encoding' to 'utf-8', because this is the only
        'encoding' settings, that allow encodings conversion. I mentioned this
        in my previous message.

        BM> Printing utf-8 is somewhere on the todo list, but it's not easy to
        BM> implement. Limited support for conversion from 'encoding' to
        BM> 'fileencoding' was suggested. Don't expect it soon...

        OK. Thank you for explanation.

        >> Help says that "multi-byte" characters are replaced with spaces when
        >> printing. And each Russian character in cp1251 encoding is replaced
        >> with two another (non-blank) characters.

        BM> Strange, it appears to work correctly for me.

        This is fully reproducible on several PCs. The "wrong" characters
        looks exactly as they were pasted to/from system clipboard before
        applying latest clipboard patch.

        Valery Kondakoff
        http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
        http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

        np: The Cure - Bloodflowers (Bloodflowers) [stopped]