Re: Encoding in quickfix window?

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
      Valery Kondakoff wrote:

      > Hello, people at vim-multibyte list!
      >
      > Ah! Another encoding-related problem: the 'right' encoding is not set
      > in 'quickfix' window.
      >
      > There is an example: I was using grep to search text in files, that
      > contain text in cp1251 encoding. Then I'm opening quickfix window
      > (:copen) and see garbage instead of Russian characters.
      >
      > There is a screenshot, that illustrates the problem (~20k): the bottom
      > window is the quickfix widow and the top window is just a the same
      > grep output redirected to a file and opened in GVim as a text file.
      > ('set fenc?' returns 'cp1251' in quickfix window).
      >
      > http://www.nbk.orc.ru/temp/qf.png
      >
      > How can I set quickfix to display characters in cp1251?

      This not just a problem of the quickfix window, the ":clist" command
      should have the same problem.

      The errorfile is read without conversion, thus it's used with the value
      of 'encoding'. Your 'encoding' is set to "utf-8" and the file is in
      cp1251, thus you don't see the right characters.

      I'll add a remark that some option should be added to specify the
      encoding of the errorfile, so that conversion can be done. Don't expect
      this soon though...

      --
      Q: Is selling software the same as selling hardware?
      A: No, good hardware is sold new, good software has already been used by many.

    • Valery Kondakoff
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
        Hello, Bram!

        Friday, April 4, 2003, you wrote to me:

        >> Ah! Another encoding-related problem: the 'right' encoding is not set
        >> in 'quickfix' window.

        BM> This not just a problem of the quickfix window, the ":clist" command
        BM> should have the same problem.

        Exactly!

        BM> I'll add a remark that some option should be added to specify the
        BM> encoding of the errorfile, so that conversion can be done. Don't expect
        BM> this soon though...

        Thank you.

        Valery Kondakoff
        http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
        http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

        np: The Cure - Bloodflowers (Bloodflowers) [stopped]