Problem with printing files (:hardcopy)

  • Valery Kondakoff
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hello, Tony!

      Tuesday, April 1, 2003, you wrote to me:

      >> Today I tried to print a text, containing Russian characters from
      >> GVIM using ':hardcopy' command and all the Russian charecters were
      >> printed as garbage - exactly as they were pasted to/from system
      >> clipboard before applying recent clipboard patch.

      TM> Maybe you should set the 'printfont' option to some font that has the glyphs
      TM> you want to print. (The default, it is said, is Courier:h10). Or else it
      TM> could be something overlooked in the CF_TEXT vs CF_UNICODETEXT programming.

      Thank you for a suggestion. Unfortunately, setting 'prinfont' option
      does not help. It successfully changes the font, but native characters
      are still not printed correctly.

      I think this is a bug, because when printed, each Russian letter is
      replaced with _two_ "garbage" characters. So - this seems to be
      character conversion error, and not just missing glyphs.

      2 Bram: do I need to perform some additional testing to make the
      problem clear? How can I help you with this?

      Valery Kondakoff
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

      np: Pussyfoot - Sea Breeze #C - Chari Chari (Fish Smell Like Cat) [stopped]
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
        Valery Kondakoff wrote:

        > 2 Bram: do I need to perform some additional testing to make the
        > problem clear? How can I help you with this?

        Are you sure you are not using a multi-byte encoding? The printing only
        works for 8 bit encodings.

        Did you read section 3.2 in various.txt?

        --
        Veni, Vidi, Video -- I came, I saw, I taped what I saw.

      • Valery Kondakoff
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
          Hello, Bram!

          Thursday, April 3, 2003, you wrote to me:

          >> 2 Bram: do I need to perform some additional testing to make the
          >> problem clear? How can I help you with this?

          BM> Are you sure you are not using a multi-byte encoding? The printing only
          BM> works for 8 bit encodings.

          Excuse, pls, my ignorance: I'm not sure I understand the difference
          between 8 bit and multi-byte encodings. The texts, that I'm trying to
          print are in cp1251 encoding. Is it '8 bit' or 'multy-byte' encoding?

          Currently I'm reading 'mbyte.txt' again. As far as I understand,
          cp1251 is mentioned here as 8-bit encoding:

          1 latin1 8-bit characters (ISO 8859-1)
          1 iso-8859-n ISO_8859 variant (n = 2 to 15)
          1 koi8-r Russian
          1 koi8-u Ukrainian
          1 8bit-{name} any 8-bit encoding (Vim specific name)
          1 cp{number} MS-Windows: any installed single-byte codepage

          BM> Did you read section 3.2 in various.txt?

          Yes, I have read 3.1 and 3.2 sections. There is an excerpt from
          section 3.1:

          -----
          8-bit and Multi-byte support - There is limited support for 8-bit
          character set encodings. It is based on the Latin-1 encoding, modified
          for the host platform so that what is printed should match what VIM
          displays on screen. There is no support for multi-byte character sets
          - the characters are replaced with spaces.
          -----

          Help says that "multi-byte" characters are replaced with spaces when
          printing. And each Russian character in cp1251 encoding is replaced
          with two another (non-blank) characters.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
            Valery Kondakoff wrote:

            > Thursday, April 3, 2003, you wrote to me:
            >
            > >> 2 Bram: do I need to perform some additional testing to make the
            > >> problem clear? How can I help you with this?
            >
            > BM> Are you sure you are not using a multi-byte encoding? The printing only
            > BM> works for 8 bit encodings.
            >
            > Excuse, pls, my ignorance: I'm not sure I understand the difference
            > between 8 bit and multi-byte encodings. The texts, that I'm trying to
            > print are in cp1251 encoding. Is it '8 bit' or 'multy-byte' encoding?

            It's an 8 bit encoding. But I assume your 'encoding' is utf-8, which
            is what matters.

            Printing utf-8 is somewhere on the todo list, but it's not easy to
            implement. Limited support for conversion from 'encoding' to
            'fileencoding' was suggested. Don't expect it soon...

            > Help says that "multi-byte" characters are replaced with spaces when
            > printing. And each Russian character in cp1251 encoding is replaced
            > with two another (non-blank) characters.

            Strange, it appears to work correctly for me.

            --
            WOMAN: Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh -- how d'you do?
            ARTHUR: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, King of the Britons.

          • Valery Kondakoff
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
              Hello, Bram!

              Friday, April 4, 2003, you wrote to me:

              >> BM> Are you sure you are not using a multi-byte encoding? The printing only
              >> BM> works for 8 bit encodings.
              >>
              >> Excuse, pls, my ignorance: I'm not sure I understand the difference
              >> between 8 bit and multi-byte encodings. The texts, that I'm trying to
              >> print are in cp1251 encoding. Is it '8 bit' or 'multy-byte' encoding?

              BM> It's an 8 bit encoding. But I assume your 'encoding' is utf-8, which
              BM> is what matters.

              Ah. Yes, I set 'encoding' to 'utf-8', because this is the only
              'encoding' settings, that allow encodings conversion. I mentioned this
              in my previous message.

              BM> Printing utf-8 is somewhere on the todo list, but it's not easy to
              BM> implement. Limited support for conversion from 'encoding' to
              BM> 'fileencoding' was suggested. Don't expect it soon...

              OK. Thank you for explanation.

              >> Help says that "multi-byte" characters are replaced with spaces when
              >> printing. And each Russian character in cp1251 encoding is replaced
              >> with two another (non-blank) characters.

              BM> Strange, it appears to work correctly for me.

              This is fully reproducible on several PCs. The "wrong" characters
              looks exactly as they were pasted to/from system clipboard before
              applying latest clipboard patch.

              Valery Kondakoff
              http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
              http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

              np: The Cure - Bloodflowers (Bloodflowers) [stopped]