Formating multi-byte text with punctuations

  • maxiangjiang
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2003
      Hey,

      How do we format multi-byte text with punctuations?

      With additions for fo+=M, formatting with gq is getting better.
      Now, I am wandering if we can add support punctuations, like ",".

      For multi-byte text, "," is also two-byte. It is often put on the first
      column.
      If we can support this, "tw" may need to be expanded "on the fly" when
      needed.

      BTW, utf8 value of multibyte commas is ef bc 8c.

      Thanks.

      Xiangjiang Ma
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2003
        On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:32:49AM -0800, maxiangjiang wrote:
        > For multi-byte text, "," is also two-byte. It is often put on the first
        > column.
        > If we can support this, "tw" may need to be expanded "on the fly" when
        > needed.

        "," is never multi-byte. You're referring to "full-width comma", which
        is a different character (""). Be careful to distinguish them, so
        people don't get confused and start thinking plain old commas are
        multibyte in UTF-8; there's enough confusion out there already. :)

        > BTW, utf8 value of multibyte commas is ef bc 8c.

        It's easiest to refer people to Unicode characters by codepoint: U+FF0C.