Wrong encoding when copying to/from Clipboard in the newest builds

  • Valery Kondakoff
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
      Hi!

      I'm not sure if you are aware of this issue already, but it seems
      there is smth broken in Clipboard copying in the newest GVIM builds.
      (I'm using GVIM 6.1, under WinXP Pro).

      There are my encoding settings:

      set encoding=cp1251
      set fileencodings=cp1251,cp866,koi8-r
      set guifont=courier_new:h11

      When using GVIM 6.1 I can copy text in cp1251 encoding to system
      Clipboard and paste it to another application (*"y). The text is
      pasted without problems. Also I can copy text from another app to VIM
      (*"p) and this text will be still displayed correctly (cp1251).

      But after upgrading to GVIM 6.1.364 and GVIM 6.1.386 I have noticed,
      that the Russian text is pasted to/from Clipboard as a garbage - in
      wrong encoding. It's interesting that 'plain' yanking/pasting (y/p)
      works as expected and does not produce wrong encoding. After reverting
      back to GVIM 6.1 the problem disappears.

      Do you have any idea - what's wrong?

      Thank you!

      Valery Kondakoff
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
        On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 06:15:39PM +0300, Valery Kondakoff wrote:
        > I'm not sure if you are aware of this issue already, but it seems
        > there is smth broken in Clipboard copying in the newest GVIM builds.
        > (I'm using GVIM 6.1, under WinXP Pro).
        >
        > There are my encoding settings:
        >
        > set encoding=cp1251
        > set fileencodings=cp1251,cp866,koi8-r
        > set guifont=courier_new:h11

        Have you applied the UTF-8 fix I posted to this list recently? AFAIK,
        Bram hasn't applied it because it's still awaiting testing on older
        systems (particularly Win95).

      • Valery Kondakoff
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
          Hello, Glenn!

          12 марта 2003 г., you wrote to me:

          >> I'm not sure if you are aware of this issue already, but it seems
          >> there is smth broken in Clipboard copying in the newest GVIM builds.
          >> (I'm using GVIM 6.1, under WinXP Pro).
          >>
          >> set encoding=cp1251

          GM> Have you applied the UTF-8 fix I posted to this list recently? AFAIK,
          GM> Bram hasn't applied it because it's still awaiting testing on older
          GM> systems (particularly Win95).

          No. I just downloaded Win32 build with the latest patches applied
          (http://www.unb.ca/chem/ajit/vim.htm). BTW - as far as I understand
          the reported problem is not related to UTF-8, because text is copied
          in cp1251. Am I wrong?

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
            Valery Kondakoff wrote:

            > I'm not sure if you are aware of this issue already, but it seems
            > there is smth broken in Clipboard copying in the newest GVIM builds.
            > (I'm using GVIM 6.1, under WinXP Pro).
            >
            > There are my encoding settings:
            >
            > set encoding=cp1251
            > set fileencodings=cp1251,cp866,koi8-r
            > set guifont=courier_new:h11
            >
            > When using GVIM 6.1 I can copy text in cp1251 encoding to system
            > Clipboard and paste it to another application (*"y). The text is
            > pasted without problems. Also I can copy text from another app to VIM
            > (*"p) and this text will be still displayed correctly (cp1251).
            >
            > But after upgrading to GVIM 6.1.364 and GVIM 6.1.386 I have noticed,
            > that the Russian text is pasted to/from Clipboard as a garbage - in
            > wrong encoding. It's interesting that 'plain' yanking/pasting (y/p)
            > works as expected and does not produce wrong encoding. After reverting
            > back to GVIM 6.1 the problem disappears.
            >
            > Do you have any idea - what's wrong?

            I don't know what's wrong. Glenn? Ron?

            --
            Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
              On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:06:17PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > I don't know what's wrong. Glenn? Ron?

              I don't know the full implications of Vim without the current clipboard
              patch, so I'd like him to apply it (and recheck the problems) before I
              try troubleshooting anything.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
                From: Valery Kondakoff <strauss@...>
                To: Glenn Maynard <vim-multibyte@...>

                Could you please tell your mailer not to put my name on the mailing list
                address? It's wrong and extremely confusing.

                On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:48:46AM +0300, Valery Kondakoff wrote:
                > No. I just downloaded Win32 build with the latest patches applied
                > (http://www.unb.ca/chem/ajit/vim.htm). BTW - as far as I understand
                > the reported problem is not related to UTF-8, because text is copied
                > in cp1251. Am I wrong?

                Er, it's a general clipboard fix, not just UTF-8; without it, it'll put
                text on the clipboard in the wrong encoding in some cases.

                I'd rather not start troubleshooting the clipboard code as it was before
                this patch, since I have to worry about whether the problem you're having
                happens to be fixed by the patch.

              • Valery Kondakoff
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
                  Hello, Glenn!

                  13 марта 2003 г., you wrote to me:

                  >> I don't know what's wrong. Glenn? Ron?

                  GM> I don't know the full implications of Vim without the current clipboard
                  GM> patch, so I'd like him to apply it (and recheck the problems) before I
                  GM> try troubleshooting anything.

                  I have found a link to patched GVIM, that you send in one of the
                  this patch fixes my problem with garbage encodings. At least there are
                  no clipboard-related encoding problems in this build.

                  But it introduces another problem: when copying _from_ another app to
                  GVIM the last character of clipboard contents is _not_ copied to GVIM.

                  There is an example: I'm copying a string '1234' from Notepad. After
                  pasting in GVIM ("*p) it will be truncated to '123'.

                  The last character is not truncated, when pasting from GVIM to
                  Notepad. (WinXP Pro).

                  :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
                    On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 04:23:54AM +0300, Valery Kondakoff wrote:
                    > I have found a link to patched GVIM, that you send in one of the
                    > this patch fixes my problem with garbage encodings. At least there are
                    > no clipboard-related encoding problems in this build.

                    The only binaries I've put up are fairly old, and don't include the
                    recent patch and may not include some other bugfixes.

                    I'll see about updating that binary in the next day or two.

                  • Valery Kondakoff
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
                      Hello, Glenn!

                      14 марта 2003 г., you wrote to me:

                      GM> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 04:23:54AM +0300, Valery Kondakoff wrote:
                      >> I have found a link to patched GVIM, that you send in one of the
                      >> this patch fixes my problem with garbage encodings. At least there are
                      >> no clipboard-related encoding problems in this build.

                      GM> The only binaries I've put up are fairly old, and don't include the
                      GM> recent patch and may not include some other bugfixes.

                      Currently I'm experimenting with your build. I have set 'encoding' to
                      'utf-8' in my _vimrc, and this fixes the problem with disappearing
                      character after copying text from external app to GVIM. And there are
                      _no_ problems with text encoding.

                      So, it seems, that the last character disappears only when unicode is
                      not enabled.