Re: clipboard for win9x

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
      On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:41:24PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > I'm wondering if we can really omit CF_UNICODETEXT. It's unclear what
      > encoding CF_TEXT should use. The active code page? Any 8-bit encoding
      > that the file happens to contain? And even when MS specifies something,
      > do applications really implement it correctly?

      I'm sure that CF_TEXT contains text in the ANSI codepage. Also, data sent
      to the normal *A Windows API functions is in the ANSI codepage, and most
      apps simply take data from CF_TEXT and throw it at Windows API calls
      unchanged--CF_TEXT being ANSI "just works" almost all of the time (and it
      being anything else almost never works). I could find cases where it
      doesn't work (by using old non-Unicode fonts), but in those cases,
      CF_UNICODETEXT doesn't help.

      However, I removed the code to omit CF_UNICODETEXT for simplicity, so
      it's a moot issue.

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 12, 2003
        On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:16:53PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
        > Try it in reverse; copy them (again one at a line) from Notepad and Word
        > back to Vim.

        Here's one problem I've found--not due to the patch, but related: if we
        ever get text from CF_TEXT, it'll be in the ANSI codepage, and we need
        to convert it to p_enc. On NT, we never use CF_TEXT, since it'll
        synthesize CF_UNICODETEXT for us.

        So, do we ever get CF_TEXT in 95? The recent Notepad problems seem to
        indicate that we do. Can someone confirm this by copying "Latín tëxt"
        into Vim on a 95 box with "encoding" set to UTF-8? I expect that
        you'll see "Lat<ed>n t<eb>xt". (You don't need this patch to test this,
        just CVS, though I'm still looking for someone to test it in 95.)

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 12, 2003
          Glenn Maynard <glenn@...> wrote:
          > On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:16:53PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
          > > Try it in reverse; copy them (again one at a line) from Notepad and
          > > Word back to Vim.
          >
          > Here's one problem I've found--not due to the patch, but related: if
          > we ever get text from CF_TEXT, it'll be in the ANSI codepage, and we
          > need
          > to convert it to p_enc. On NT, we never use CF_TEXT, since it'll
          > synthesize CF_UNICODETEXT for us.
          >
          > So, do we ever get CF_TEXT in 95? The recent Notepad problems seem to
          > indicate that we do. Can someone confirm this by copying "Latín tëxt"
          > into Vim on a 95 box with "encoding" set to UTF-8? I expect that
          > you'll see "Lat<ed>n t<eb>xt". (You don't need this patch to test
          > this, just CVS, though I'm still looking for someone to test it in
          > 95.)
          >
          > --
          > Glenn Maynard

          On W98SE 4.10.2222 with gvim 6.1.362 +ole as distributed in binary by Cream
          (see link at http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html ): writing "Latín tèxt"
          in Notepad and pasting it in gvim [No File] buffer with 'enc'=utf-8 gives
          indeed Lat<ed>n t<e8>xt, with the <> sequences in blue and the rest in
          black. I don't know if your patch is included in my binary, but it shows
          that non-unicode text is passed. This experiment may or may not be relevant
          to your needs. Pasting done by clicking Edit -> Paste in the standard gvim
          menu.

          Tony.
        • uribarri_u@tsm.es
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 13, 2003
            I have detected two problems with UTF-8:
            1. When I write a two byte character (í or ñ), I have press the spacebar
            twice to get it (the spaces aren't inserted in the buffer).
            2. If I copy "Cañá" on VIM and paste it in the notepad I get "Cañá"

            13/03/2003 00:25
            Glenn Maynard <glenn@...>

            Destinatarios: vim-multibyte@..., vim-dev@...
            CC:
            Asunto: Re: clipboard for win9x

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 13, 2003
              On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:12:57AM +0100, uribarri_u@... wrote:
              > I have detected two problems with UTF-8:
              > 1. When I write a two byte character (í or ñ), I have press the spacebar
              > twice to get it (the spaces aren't inserted in the buffer).

              This doesn't seem to be related to the clipboard, so I'll leave this to
              Bram ...

              > 2. If I copy "Cañá" on VIM and paste it in the notepad I get "Cañá"

              Is this with or without the patch I attached to this thread?

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 13, 2003
                Glenn Maynard wrote:

                > On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:16:53PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
                > > Try it in reverse; copy them (again one at a line) from Notepad and Word
                > > back to Vim.
                >
                > Here's one problem I've found--not due to the patch, but related: if we
                > ever get text from CF_TEXT, it'll be in the ANSI codepage, and we need
                > to convert it to p_enc. On NT, we never use CF_TEXT, since it'll
                > synthesize CF_UNICODETEXT for us.
                >
                > So, do we ever get CF_TEXT in 95? The recent Notepad problems seem to
                > indicate that we do. Can someone confirm this by copying "Latín tëxt"
                > into Vim on a 95 box with "encoding" set to UTF-8? I expect that
                > you'll see "Lat<ed>n t<eb>xt". (You don't need this patch to test this,
                > just CVS, though I'm still looking for someone to test it in 95.)

                Didn't we have this discussion before? The CF_TEXT text can
                theoretically be any encoding. But it's probably the currently active
                codepage. Thus converting from that codepage to 'encoding' would work
                in most situations.

                Previously we didn't do the conversion, because it could break
                copy/paste from one Vim to another when 'enc' is utf-8 and the codepage
                is an 8-bit one. But we now use CF_UNICODETEXT between two Vims.

                39. You move into a new house and decide to Netscape before you landscape.

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 13, 2003
                  On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:34:11AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > > So, do we ever get CF_TEXT in 95? The recent Notepad problems seem to
                  > > indicate that we do. Can someone confirm this by copying "Latín tëxt"
                  > > into Vim on a 95 box with "encoding" set to UTF-8? I expect that
                  > > you'll see "Lat<ed>n t<eb>xt". (You don't need this patch to test this,
                  > > just CVS, though I'm still looking for someone to test it in 95.)

                  Since somebody confirmed this problem, I have code written to handle the
                  other end of the conversion (converting CF_TEXT properly when pasting).
                  I'll post it (combined with the last patch, converting copying) once I
                  test it some more.

                  Unless you'd rather apply the current (more important) fix first. After
                  all, this problem has existed for a long time, so we don't necessarily
                  have to fix them together. Do you want to wait to finish the copying
                  fix and let that sit in CVS for a while before bothering with pasting?

                  > Didn't we have this discussion before? The CF_TEXT text can
                  > theoretically be any encoding. But it's probably the currently active
                  > codepage. Thus converting from that codepage to 'encoding' would work
                  > in most situations.

                  I don't recall. We might have settled on "maybe what we're doing is
                  valid and maybe not, but UTF-8 pasting between Vims is more important
                  anyway".

                  Anyway, as you said, since the stumbling block of cross-Vim pasting is gone
                  this doesn't matter now. We can deal with CF_TEXT in ANSI now without
                  lossage.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 13, 2003
                    Glenn Maynard wrote:

                    > On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:34:11AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > > > So, do we ever get CF_TEXT in 95? The recent Notepad problems seem to
                    > > > indicate that we do. Can someone confirm this by copying "Latín tëxt"
                    > > > into Vim on a 95 box with "encoding" set to UTF-8? I expect that
                    > > > you'll see "Lat<ed>n t<eb>xt". (You don't need this patch to test this,
                    > > > just CVS, though I'm still looking for someone to test it in 95.)
                    >
                    > Since somebody confirmed this problem, I have code written to handle the
                    > other end of the conversion (converting CF_TEXT properly when pasting).
                    > I'll post it (combined with the last patch, converting copying) once I
                    > test it some more.
                    >
                    > Unless you'd rather apply the current (more important) fix first. After
                    > all, this problem has existed for a long time, so we don't necessarily
                    > have to fix them together. Do you want to wait to finish the copying
                    > fix and let that sit in CVS for a while before bothering with pasting?

                    I would prefer fixing this with one patch. We have quite a few of them
                    already anyway!

                    40. You tell the cab driver you live at
                    http://123.elm.street/house/bluetrim.html
                    41. You actually try that 123.elm.street address.

                  • Valery Kondakoff
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 13, 2003
                      Hello, Glenn!

                      13 ìàðòà 2003 ã., you wrote to me:

                      >> 2. If I copy "Cañá" on VIM and paste it in the notepad I get "Cañá"

                      Yes. 'Garbage characters' that I was describing in my latest mail are
                      looking exactly like these.

                      GM> Is this with or without the patch I attached to this thread?

                      Glenn, excuse me for asking: if there is a place, where I can download
                      GVIM build with your patch applied? (I'm not sure that I can compile
                      CVIM by myself, but I'll try if there are no other ways to 'catch' the
                      problem...). :)

                      Valery Kondakoff
                      http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
                      http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 16, 2003
                        Glenn Maynard wrote:

                        > On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:16:53PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
                        > > Try it in reverse; copy them (again one at a line) from Notepad and Word
                        > > back to Vim.
                        >
                        > Here's one problem I've found--not due to the patch, but related: if we
                        > ever get text from CF_TEXT, it'll be in the ANSI codepage, and we need
                        > to convert it to p_enc. On NT, we never use CF_TEXT, since it'll
                        > synthesize CF_UNICODETEXT for us.
                        >
                        > So, do we ever get CF_TEXT in 95? The recent Notepad problems seem to
                        > indicate that we do. Can someone confirm this by copying "Latín tëxt"
                        > into Vim on a 95 box with "encoding" set to UTF-8? I expect that
                        > you'll see "Lat<ed>n t<eb>xt". (You don't need this patch to test this,
                        > just CVS, though I'm still looking for someone to test it in 95.)

                        Yes, this problem exists. After including your previous patch I can now
                        properly copy text in gvim (using 'encoding' set to "utf-8") and paste in
                        Notepad. Thus setting the CF_TEXT entry to text converted from
                        'encoding' to the active codepage appears to work.

                        The other way around doesn't work. Obviously Notepad only sets CF_TEXT
                        and it is in the active codepage. When pasting CF_TEXT in Vim this must
                        be converted to 'encoding'.

                        Should not be difficult.... Below is a patch that combines the two
                        directions. I also fixed a memory leak when using CF_UNICODETEXT.
                        Please give this a try.

                        *** ../vim61.406/src/os_mswin.c Sat Mar 15 16:54:47 2003
                        --- src/os_mswin.c Sun Mar 16 16:47:15 2003
                        ***************
                        *** 971,977 ****

                        utf8_str = alloc((unsigned)length);
                        if (utf8_str != NULL)
                        ! WideCharToMultiByte(enc_dbcs, 0, str, *len, utf8_str, length, 0,0);
                        *len = length;
                        return utf8_str;
                        }
                        --- 971,977 ----

                        utf8_str = alloc((unsigned)length);
                        if (utf8_str != NULL)
                        ! WideCharToMultiByte(enc_dbcs, 0, str, *len, utf8_str, length, 0, 0);
                        *len = length;
                        return utf8_str;
                        }
                        ***************
                        *** 1022,1027 ****
                        --- 1022,1028 ----
                        VimClipType_t metadata = { -1, -1, -1 };
                        HGLOBAL hMem = NULL;
                        char_u *str = NULL;
                        + char_u *to_free = NULL;
                        char_u *hMemStr = NULL;
                        int str_size = 0;
                        int maxlen;
                        ***************
                        *** 1076,1082 ****
                        if (hMemWstr[str_size] == NUL)
                        break;
                        }
                        ! str = ucs2_to_enc(hMemWstr, &str_size);
                        GlobalUnlock(hMemW);
                        }
                        }
                        --- 1077,1083 ----
                        if (hMemWstr[str_size] == NUL)
                        break;
                        }
                        ! to_free = str = ucs2_to_enc(hMemWstr, &str_size);
                        GlobalUnlock(hMemW);
                        }
                        }
                        ***************
                        *** 1105,1110 ****
                        --- 1106,1128 ----
                        if (str[str_size] == NUL)
                        break;
                        }
                        +
                        + /* The text is now in the active codepage. Convert to 'encoding',
                        + * going through UCS-2. */
                        + maxlen = MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP, 0, str, str_size, NULL, 0);
                        + to_free = alloc((unsigned)(maxlen * sizeof(WCHAR)));
                        + if (to_free != NULL)
                        + {
                        + MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP, 0, str, str_size,
                        + (WCHAR *)to_free, maxlen);
                        + str_size = maxlen;
                        + str = ucs2_to_enc((WCHAR *)to_free, &str_size);
                        + if (str != NULL)
                        + {
                        + vim_free(to_free);
                        + to_free = str;
                        + }
                        + }
                        }
                        }

                        ***************
                        *** 1129,1134 ****
                        --- 1147,1153 ----
                        if (hMemStr != NULL)
                        GlobalUnlock(hMem);
                        CloseClipboard();
                        + vim_free(to_free);
                        }

                        /*
                        ***************
                        *** 1138,1144 ****
                        clip_mch_set_selection(VimClipboard *cbd)
                        {
                        char_u *str = NULL;
                        - long_u str_len;
                        VimClipType_t metadata;
                        HGLOBAL hMem = NULL;
                        HGLOBAL hMemVim = NULL;
                        --- 1157,1162 ----
                        ***************
                        *** 1152,1167 ****
                        cbd->owned = FALSE;

                        /* Get the text to be put on the clipboard, with CR-LF. */
                        ! metadata.type = clip_convert_selection(&str, &str_len, cbd);
                        if (metadata.type < 0)
                        return;
                        - metadata.txtlen = str_len;
                        metadata.ucslen = 0;

                        # if defined(FEAT_MBYTE) && defined(WIN3264)
                        {
                        WCHAR *out;
                        ! int len = str_len;

                        /* Convert the text to UCS-2. This is put on the clipboard as
                        * CF_UNICODETEXT. */
                        --- 1170,1184 ----
                        cbd->owned = FALSE;

                        /* Get the text to be put on the clipboard, with CR-LF. */
                        ! metadata.type = clip_convert_selection(&str, &metadata.txtlen, cbd);
                        if (metadata.type < 0)
                        return;
                        metadata.ucslen = 0;

                        # if defined(FEAT_MBYTE) && defined(WIN3264)
                        {
                        WCHAR *out;
                        ! int len = metadata.txtlen;

                        /* Convert the text to UCS-2. This is put on the clipboard as
                        * CF_UNICODETEXT. */
                        ***************
                        *** 1170,1175 ****
                        --- 1187,1206 ----
                        {
                        WCHAR *lpszMemW;

                        + /* Convert the text for CF_TEXT to ANSI codepage. Otherwise it's
                        + * p_enc, which has no relation to the ANSI codepage. */
                        + metadata.txtlen = WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, out, len,
                        + NULL, 0, 0, 0);
                        + vim_free(str);
                        + str = (char_u *)alloc((unsigned)metadata.txtlen);
                        + if (str == NULL)
                        + {
                        + vim_free(out);
                        + return; /* out of memory */
                        + }
                        + WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, out, len,
                        + str, metadata.txtlen, 0, 0);
                        +
                        /* Allocate memory for the UCS-2 text, add one NUL word to
                        * terminate the string. */
                        hMemW = (LPSTR)GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE | GMEM_DDESHARE,
                        ***************
                        *** 1189,1202 ****

                        /* Allocate memory for the text, add one NUL byte to terminate the string.
                        */
                        ! hMem = GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE | GMEM_DDESHARE, str_len + 1);
                        {
                        LPSTR lpszMem = (LPSTR)GlobalLock(hMem);

                        if (lpszMem)
                        {
                        ! STRNCPY(lpszMem, str, str_len);
                        ! lpszMem[str_len] = NUL;
                        GlobalUnlock(hMem);
                        }
                        }
                        --- 1220,1233 ----

                        /* Allocate memory for the text, add one NUL byte to terminate the string.
                        */
                        ! hMem = GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE | GMEM_DDESHARE, metadata.txtlen + 1);
                        {
                        LPSTR lpszMem = (LPSTR)GlobalLock(hMem);

                        if (lpszMem)
                        {
                        ! STRNCPY(lpszMem, str, metadata.txtlen);
                        ! lpszMem[metadata.txtlen] = NUL;
                        GlobalUnlock(hMem);
                        }
                        }
                        ***************
                        *** 1230,1237 ****
                        # if defined(FEAT_MBYTE) && defined(WIN3264)
                        if (hMemW != NULL)
                        {
                        ! SetClipboardData(CF_UNICODETEXT, hMemW);
                        ! hMemW = 0;
                        }
                        # endif
                        /* Always use CF_TEXT. On Win98 Notepad won't obtain the
                        --- 1261,1268 ----
                        # if defined(FEAT_MBYTE) && defined(WIN3264)
                        if (hMemW != NULL)
                        {
                        ! if (SetClipboardData(CF_UNICODETEXT, hMemW) != NULL)
                        ! hMemW = NULL;
                        }
                        # endif
                        /* Always use CF_TEXT. On Win98 Notepad won't obtain the

                        --
                        From "know your smileys":
                        (X0||) Double hamburger with lettuce and tomato

                      • Valery Kondakoff
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 25, 2003
                          Hello, Bram!

                          Sunday, March 16, 2003, you wrote to me:

                          BM> Should not be difficult.... Below is a patch that combines the two
                          BM> directions. I also fixed a memory leak when using CF_UNICODETEXT.
                          BM> Please give this a try.

                          BM> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                          BM> *** ../vim61.406/src/os_mswin.c Sat Mar 15 16:54:47 2003
                          BM> --- src/os_mswin.c Sun Mar 16 16:47:15 2003

                          Please, can you give me rather more details how to apply this patch?
                          I'm a real newbie in "patching". With a little help of VIM-community I
                          was able to apply 'official' patches. But I still can't understand
                          what 'os_mswin.c' revision do I need to have to successfully apply
                          your patch.

                          When applying your patch on clean 'os_mswin.c' or 'os_mswin.c' with
                          all official patches applyed, I receive an error:

                          Patching file src/os_mswin.c using Plan A...
                          Hunk #1 FAILED at 971.
                          Hunk #2 FAILED at 1022.
                          Hunk #3 FAILED at 1077.
                          Hunk #4 FAILED at 1106.
                          Hunk #5 succeeded at 1147 with fuzz 2.
                          Hunk #6 FAILED at 1157.
                          Hunk #7 FAILED at 1170.
                          Hunk #8 FAILED at 1187.
                          Hunk #9 FAILED at 1220.
                          Hunk #10 FAILED at 1261.
                          9 out of 10 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/os_mswin.c.rej

                          Do I need to find a special 'os_mswin.c' version in CVS?

                          Thank you in advance! (I think I need to try this patch and
                          'strftime_encoding' one, because I'm working in multilangiage
                          environment).

                          Valery Kondakoff
                          http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
                          http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

                          np: Simon Raymonde - The Seventh Day (Blame Someone Else) [stopped]
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 26, 2003
                            Valery Kondakoff wrote:

                            > Please, can you give me rather more details how to apply this patch?
                            > I'm a real newbie in "patching". With a little help of VIM-community I
                            > was able to apply 'official' patches. But I still can't understand
                            > what 'os_mswin.c' revision do I need to have to successfully apply
                            > your patch.
                            >
                            > When applying your patch on clean 'os_mswin.c' or 'os_mswin.c' with
                            > all official patches applyed, I receive an error:
                            >
                            > Patching file src/os_mswin.c using Plan A...
                            > Hunk #1 FAILED at 971.
                            > Hunk #2 FAILED at 1022.
                            > Hunk #3 FAILED at 1077.
                            > Hunk #4 FAILED at 1106.
                            > Hunk #5 succeeded at 1147 with fuzz 2.
                            > Hunk #6 FAILED at 1157.
                            > Hunk #7 FAILED at 1170.
                            > Hunk #8 FAILED at 1187.
                            > Hunk #9 FAILED at 1220.
                            > Hunk #10 FAILED at 1261.
                            > 9 out of 10 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/os_mswin.c.rej
                            >
                            > Do I need to find a special 'os_mswin.c' version in CVS?

                            First make sure the patch file and the source file use the same line
                            endings. Both dos and unix fileformats work, but they must match.

                            I'm not sure if this patch depends on previous patches. Simplest is to
                            obtain the latest version through CVS. See the CVS page on
                            www.vim.org for that.

                            214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.