Re: Display problems with vim, xterm and UTF-8

  • Anders Helmersson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25 7:35 AM
      On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 12:30:06 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > This sounds like an xterm problem. When moving the cursor around the
      > xterm redraws characters from its buffer, I suspect you have an xterm
      > version in which this doesn't work properly. Can you try installing a
      > newer xterm (version 172 is available, you appear to be using 165, I
      > don't recall in which version this bug was fixed).

      I tried to install the newest version XFree86 4.2.99.902(173). (I hope I
      didn't mess up things during the installation though). The problem still
      shows up in the same way as before. In addition, it only shows up in the
      insert mode. I haven't been able to reproduce it on a simple command
      line in xterm either.

      > That all points to an xterm problem. I can't be 100% sure though.

      I agree, but I'm not certain either.

      Anders
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25 12:17 PM
        Anders Helmersson wrote:

        > On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 12:30:06 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > This sounds like an xterm problem. When moving the cursor around the
        > > xterm redraws characters from its buffer, I suspect you have an xterm
        > > version in which this doesn't work properly. Can you try installing a
        > > newer xterm (version 172 is available, you appear to be using 165, I
        > > don't recall in which version this bug was fixed).
        >
        > I tried to install the newest version XFree86 4.2.99.902(173). (I hope I
        > didn't mess up things during the installation though). The problem still
        > shows up in the same way as before. In addition, it only shows up in the
        > insert mode. I haven't been able to reproduce it on a simple command
        > line in xterm either.
        >
        > > That all points to an xterm problem. I can't be 100% sure though.
        >
        > I agree, but I'm not certain either.

        I'm now 100% sure it is a Vim problem. I have located it and found a
        solution. I'll send out a patch asap.

        --
        The war between Emacs and Vi is over. Vi has won with 3 to 1.
        http://www.ssc.com/lg/issue30/raymond.html