Re: Display problems with vim, xterm and UTF-8

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2003
      Anders Helmersson wrote:

      > When running vim in an xterm window, multibyte characters on a line are
      > suddenly displayed incorrectly as the cursor is moved over them. I
      > haven't found out any specific pattern on how to move the cursor with
      > the arrow-keys to repeat the problem. Sometimes I need to go back and
      > forth over the line quite a few times before the problem shows up. It
      > happens both with and without an XIM-server running.
      >
      > As an example I give the following line
      >
      > 我们的房子是白的。
      >
      > which shows up as
      >
      > æ ä ç æ å æ ç ç ã
      >
      > Once, this has happened, the characters are display correctly again by
      > inserting another character on the line or by escaping the insert mode
      > and refreshing the display with ^L. Also, when I enter the visual mode
      > the characters are shown correctly.

      This sounds like an xterm problem. When moving the cursor around the
      xterm redraws characters from its buffer, I suspect you have an xterm
      version in which this doesn't work properly. Can you try installing a
      newer xterm (version 172 is available, you appear to be using 165, I
      don't recall in which version this bug was fixed).

      > I don't know if this is an xterm, a font or a vim problem. If I redraw
      > the xterm display (using ctrl and mouse keys) while in insert mode, the
      > wrong characters still show up. If I mark the text using the mouse and
      > insert it again (mouse middle key), the wrong characters are actually
      > inserted. That is how I created the example lines above.

      That all points to an xterm problem. I can't be 100% sure though.

      > Another question is if and when it will be possible to use fully
      > controlled IM (imactivatekey and related features) in vim without gui?

      I don't think this will be possible. Unless these features are added to
      the xterm.

      --
      ARTHUR: You fight with the strength of many men, Sir knight.
      I am Arthur, King of the Britons. [pause]

    • Anders Helmersson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2003
        On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 12:30:06 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > This sounds like an xterm problem. When moving the cursor around the
        > xterm redraws characters from its buffer, I suspect you have an xterm
        > version in which this doesn't work properly. Can you try installing a
        > newer xterm (version 172 is available, you appear to be using 165, I
        > don't recall in which version this bug was fixed).

        I tried to install the newest version XFree86 4.2.99.902(173). (I hope I
        didn't mess up things during the installation though). The problem still
        shows up in the same way as before. In addition, it only shows up in the
        insert mode. I haven't been able to reproduce it on a simple command
        line in xterm either.

        > That all points to an xterm problem. I can't be 100% sure though.

        I agree, but I'm not certain either.

        Anders
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2003
          Anders Helmersson wrote:

          > On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 12:30:06 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > This sounds like an xterm problem. When moving the cursor around the
          > > xterm redraws characters from its buffer, I suspect you have an xterm
          > > version in which this doesn't work properly. Can you try installing a
          > > newer xterm (version 172 is available, you appear to be using 165, I
          > > don't recall in which version this bug was fixed).
          >
          > I tried to install the newest version XFree86 4.2.99.902(173). (I hope I
          > didn't mess up things during the installation though). The problem still
          > shows up in the same way as before. In addition, it only shows up in the
          > insert mode. I haven't been able to reproduce it on a simple command
          > line in xterm either.
          >
          > > That all points to an xterm problem. I can't be 100% sure though.
          >
          > I agree, but I'm not certain either.

          I'm now 100% sure it is a Vim problem. I have located it and found a
          solution. I'll send out a patch asap.

          --
          The war between Emacs and Vi is over. Vi has won with 3 to 1.
          http://www.ssc.com/lg/issue30/raymond.html