Re: Win32 clipboard and pasting unicode from other apps

    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 5, 2003
      On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:04:22PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > The docs for the clipboard claim, at least, that it'll convert
      > > CF_UNICODETEXT to CF_TEXT if the former is set and the latter is
      > > requested. The documentation appears to be correct in 2k, at least;
      > > it claims to be applicable down to 95. (I havn't tested it below 2k;
      > > I'll try to test it on the local 98 machine.)
      >
      > Aha. I suppose that when requesting CF_UNICODETEXT it doesn't convert
      > from CF_TEXT, thus when obtaining the clipboard contents we do have to
      > check both.

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/dataexchange/clipboard/clipboardformats.asp?frame=true#_win32_Synthesized_Clipboard_Formats

      It claims, at least, that they're supposed to convert either way. (Not
      that I trust the documentation very much. :)

      Another MSDN page documents the UNICODETEXT support in pre-NT, but I
      can't find it at the moment. (The problem you're describing will be
      very obvious if it happens, though--we won't be able to paste from
      almost any other apps at all in 9x.)

      > I can't find the right patch for enc_codepage right now. All this was
      > postponed much too long...
      >
      > Can you check the changes for enc_codepage and send me a patch again?
      > Preferably against the current version with the Unicode clipboard patch
      > included.

      I'll run over it and send it again. It'd be easiest if you could commit
      the clipboard patch to CVS, so I can diff from there.

      > I'm actually more worried about plain mistakes in the code. I did some
      > cleaning up and could not test it all.

      I got it to apply (along with the strlen fix), and it's worked in a few
      cursory tests (copying and pasting JP text with enc=utf-8 and enc=cp932).
      I suspect you'll want more testing in 9x, which I can't do here ...

      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 6, 2003
        Glenn Maynard wrote:

        > > Can you check the changes for enc_codepage and send me a patch again?
        > > Preferably against the current version with the Unicode clipboard patch
        > > included.
        >
        > I'll run over it and send it again. It'd be easiest if you could commit
        > the clipboard patch to CVS, so I can diff from there.

        That has a catch 42 problem: I would like to test the whole thing before
        sending the patch into the world.

        > > I'm actually more worried about plain mistakes in the code. I did some
        > > cleaning up and could not test it all.
        >
        > I got it to apply (along with the strlen fix), and it's worked in a few
        > cursory tests (copying and pasting JP text with enc=utf-8 and enc=cp932).
        > I suspect you'll want more testing in 9x, which I can't do here ...

        I didn't change the way it handles the clipboard. It's mostly the
        various conversions that need to be checked, including iconv().

        156. You forget your friend's name but not her e-mail address.