RE: Win32 clipboard and pasting unicode from other apps

    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 14, 2002
      Jason Maiorana wrote:

      > > > I think I know why gvim on Win32 breaks unicode cut/copy and pasting
      > > > from other apps, but I don't know enough (yet) about the vim internals
      > > > and especially multibyte to fix it.
      > >There are a few patches that have been made, but not included yet. If
      > >I'm not mistaken then this one is the most recent:
      > > http://members.telocity.com/~seer26/UTF8_STRING.patch
      >
      > GAK, that patch is for GTK gvim and console vim's connection to
      > the X server. I dont know the first bit about gvim on windows.
      > (Does the Win32 version use GTK?)

      Sorry, my mistake. I can't seem to find a patch for Win32. Maybe it
      was only suggested, not implemented.

      > As for ms-windows, doesnt that use some sort of UTF-16 encoding
      > everywhere?
      > I dont have any way to write windows code, so I cant help you with
      > that...

      MS-Windows uses UCS-2, 16 bit Unicode charactes. The problem is that
      the format stored on the (default) clipboard is not specified, thus we
      must do a few tricks when using multiple encodings. Someone worked out
      how it should work, but I can't find the reference right now...

      --
      He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 6, 2003
        Glenn Maynard wrote:

        > > Can you check the changes for enc_codepage and send me a patch again?
        > > Preferably against the current version with the Unicode clipboard patch
        > > included.
        >
        > I'll run over it and send it again. It'd be easiest if you could commit
        > the clipboard patch to CVS, so I can diff from there.

        That has a catch 42 problem: I would like to test the whole thing before
        sending the patch into the world.

        > > I'm actually more worried about plain mistakes in the code. I did some
        > > cleaning up and could not test it all.
        >
        > I got it to apply (along with the strlen fix), and it's worked in a few
        > cursory tests (copying and pasting JP text with enc=utf-8 and enc=cp932).
        > I suspect you'll want more testing in 9x, which I can't do here ...

        I didn't change the way it handles the clipboard. It's mostly the
        various conversions that need to be checked, including iconv().

        156. You forget your friend's name but not her e-mail address.