Re: add multibyte support for hardcopy

  • Nam SungHyun
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
      On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:22:47 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Namsh wrote:

      > > Currently I can see the ps file using
      > > {"Gulim", "Gulim-Bold",
      > > "Gulim-Oblique", "Gulim-BoldOblique"},
      > >
      > > There's a free truetype fonts (baekmuk-ttf) package.
      > > (ftp://ftp.mizi.co.kr/pub/baekmuk)
      > > So, how about use such a name for EUC-KR?
      >
      > That is one of the problems to be solved: How to select the printer
      > fonts. We need a good mechanism for this. And then defaults that work
      > for most people.

      I think user can print using 'gs' if he can see it using 'gs'.
      I guess it means no need to know about printer fonts.

      At least, I can print ps file (including those generated by vim)
      using ghostscript.

      inf="$1"
      outf=tmp.lj
      gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -r600 -dNOPAUSE \
      -sOutputFile=${outf} ${inf} -c quit
      lpr -h ${outf}

      regards,
      namsh
    • Yasuhiro Matsumoto
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
        >Hi.
        >
        >:hardcopy doesn't support multibyte characters,
        >so I wrote a patch to support it.
        >
        >Currently this patch (can apply from 6.0 to 6.1.247) enables
        >
        >Japanese EUC-JP
        >Japanese SJIS
        >Korean EUC-KR
        >Chinese Big5
        >Chinese GB2312
        >
        >codeset to print PS file. (PS fontnames are hardcoded yet.)
        >
        >some screenshots (output ps file using :hardcopy and view with gv) are
        >available at

        Hello Ichimura.

        I tried your patch, it's great!.
        It is coincidence, I was just talking about this problem
        with Mike Williams and Bram at last month.

        I guess that it need bit's change. :-)
        I could output ps file on win32 with this patch.
        (I made this patch against your patch.)

        BTW)
        As bram said, there is a problem about
        "How to select the printer fonts."
        I think, it is very difficult for vim to select a CMap.
        Maybe, most users has the other way to output ps like a2ps.
        I think, vim don't need to change more after this patch.

        Thanks.

        *** ex_cmds2.c~ Thu Nov 07 11:42:14 2002
        --- ex_cmds2.c Thu Nov 07 11:39:51 2002
        ***************
        *** 2632,2637 ****
        --- 2632,2638 ----
        #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
        static void prt_set_mfont __ARGS((int bold, int italic, int underline));
        static void prt_mfont_init __ARGS((void));
        + void mch_print_set_mfont __ARGS((int, int, int));
        #endif
        static void prt_line_number __ARGS((prt_settings_T *psettings, int
        page_line, linenr_T lnum));
        static void prt_header __ARGS((prt_settings_T *psettings, int pagenum,
        linenr_T lnum));
        ***************
        *** 3465,3471 ****
        -250, 805,
        {"Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H",
        "Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H"},
        ! "sjis"
        },
        {
        /* Korean EUC-KR */
        --- 3466,3472 ----
        -250, 805,
        {"Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H",
        "Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H"},
        ! "sjis,shift_jis,cp932"
        },
        {
        /* Korean EUC-KR */
        ***************
        *** 3716,3727 ****
        }
        for (i = 0; i < SUPPORTED_ENCODINGS; i++)
        {
        ! if (!STRICMP(p_enc,prt_ps_mfonts[i].encoding))
        {
        ! prt_ps_mfont = prt_ps_mfonts[i];
        ! prt_has_mfont = TRUE;
        return;
        }
        }
        prt_has_mfont = FALSE;
        }
        --- 3717,3744 ----
        }
        for (i = 0; i < SUPPORTED_ENCODINGS; i++)
        {
        ! char_u *name;
        ! char_u *ptr = vim_strsave(prt_ps_mfonts[i].encoding);
        ! char_u *old = ptr;
        ! if (!ptr)
        {
        ! prt_has_mfont = FALSE;
        return;
        }
        + while(*ptr)
        + {
        + name = ptr;
        + while(*ptr != ',' && *ptr != '\0')
        + ptr++;
        + *ptr++ = 0;
        + if (!STRICMP(p_enc, name))
        + {
        + prt_ps_mfont = prt_ps_mfonts[i];
        + prt_has_mfont = TRUE;
        + return;
        + }
        + }
        + vim_free(old);
        }
        prt_has_mfont = FALSE;
        }
        ***************
        *** 4801,4807 ****
        if (len > 1) {
        int i;
        for (i = 0; i < len ; i++) {
        ! ga_append (&prt_ps_buffer, p[i]);
        }
        goto done;
        }
        --- 4818,4827 ----
        if (len > 1) {
        int i;
        for (i = 0; i < len ; i++) {
        ! ch = p[i];
        ! if (ch == '(' || ch == ')' || ch == '\\')
        ! ga_append(&prt_ps_buffer, IF_EB('\\', 0134));
        ! ga_append(&prt_ps_buffer, ch);
        }
        goto done;
        }
        --

        - Yasuhiro

      • Mike Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2002
          Hi,

          I have a few comments. I am no expert in CJKV typography (how to
          layout the characters) but have experience in the PostScript used to
          them out, so please excuse me if I ask any silly questions. I
          haven't seen the full set of patches so I may have missed some things
          answered there.

          I would suggest separating the CMap name from the font name. It may
          be useful to change the CMap name based on the platform - for example
          CMap 90ms-RKSJ-H supports Windows 3.1J and 95J characters sets. To
          the support the Apple Macintosh Traditional Chinese character set you
          need to use B5pc-H CMap. The font and CMap names can be joined
          together when generating the output file.

          A CMap defines the character collection to be used for printing, so
          is also dependent on the display font being used if you want to be
          able to print all the characters in the file. For example, the CMap
          Ext-RKSJ-H includes IBM extensions to the JIS X 0208 character set,
          or ETen-B5-H for the Big Fice character set with the ETen extensions.

          A CMap can also defines the encoding. While RKSJ-H uses EUC-JP and
          Shift-JIS, UniJIS-UCS2-H uses UCS-2 and UniJIS-UTF8-H uses UTF-8.
          The Chinese and Korean character collections support additional
          encodings as well.

          The Courier font used for latin1 encoded files has a width of .6 of
          the selected font height which is font specific (but common to Roman,
          Bold, and Italic versions of Courier). Have you been able to find
          the font metrics for the CID fonts? If not I guess you may be seeing
          an odd spacing between lines (too big a gap is my guess).

          Also, CID fonts can include half-width and proportional versions of
          Latin characters. Are you mapping these back to the full-width
          versions? Or leaving them as they are? Or is this not a problem?

          Another thing to be aware of is that some Adobe documented CMaps may
          not be available on a printer. The behaviour of a printer is
          unpredictable when this happens - it may not print anything, it may
          substitute a default CMap, or it may even revert to printing as
          single byte encoded using Courier or Helvetica. Has anyone tried
          this?

          There are a number of PDFs on CID fonts and CMaps publicly available
          at http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/technotes/fonts.html
          In particular Technical Note 5094 may be of interest as it lists the
          current standard Adobe CMaps for Chinese, Japanese and Korean CID
          fonts.

          I am happy to help, do, or review any PostScript coding to support
          multi-byte printing in VIM. Just drop me a line.

          TTFN

          On 7 Nov 2002 at 12:00, Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

          > >Hi.
          > >
          > >:hardcopy doesn't support multibyte characters,
          > >so I wrote a patch to support it.
          > >
          > >Currently this patch (can apply from 6.0 to 6.1.247) enables
          > >
          > >Japanese EUC-JP
          > >Japanese SJIS
          > >Korean EUC-KR
          > >Chinese Big5
          > >Chinese GB2312
          > >
          > >codeset to print PS file. (PS fontnames are hardcoded yet.)
          > >
          > >some screenshots (output ps file using :hardcopy and view with gv) are
          > >available at
          >
          > Hello Ichimura.
          >
          > I tried your patch, it's great!.
          > It is coincidence, I was just talking about this problem
          > with Mike Williams and Bram at last month.
          >
          > I guess that it need bit's change. :-)
          > I could output ps file on win32 with this patch.
          > (I made this patch against your patch.)
          >
          > BTW)
          > As bram said, there is a problem about
          > "How to select the printer fonts."
          > I think, it is very difficult for vim to select a CMap.
          > Maybe, most users has the other way to output ps like a2ps.
          > I think, vim don't need to change more after this patch.
          >
          > Thanks.

          Mike
          --
          One good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.