Re: add multibyte support for hardcopy

  • Motonobu Ichimura
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
      I don't know why...

      I have uploaded this patch at
      http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim/vim-6.0-hardcopy-0.1.patch

      thanks
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
        Motonobu Ichimura wrote:

        > :hardcopy doesn't support multibyte characters,
        > so I wrote a patch to support it.
        >
        > Currently this patch (can apply from 6.0 to 6.1.247) enables
        >
        > Japanese EUC-JP
        > Japanese SJIS
        > Korean EUC-KR
        > Chinese Big5
        > Chinese GB2312
        >
        > codeset to print PS file. (PS fontnames are hardcoded yet.)
        >
        > some screenshots (output ps file using :hardcopy and view with gv)
        > are available at
        >
        > http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim/

        Thanks for making this patch. I'll await comments.

        --
        Arthur pulls Pin out. The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
        ARTHUR: (quietly) One, two, five ...

      • Nam SungHyun
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
          On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 23:19:51 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Motonobu Ichimura wrote:
          >
          > > :hardcopy doesn't support multibyte characters,
          > > so I wrote a patch to support it.
          > >
          > > Currently this patch (can apply from 6.0 to 6.1.247) enables
          > >
          > > Japanese EUC-JP
          > > Japanese SJIS
          > > Korean EUC-KR
          > > Chinese Big5
          > > Chinese GB2312
          > >
          > > codeset to print PS file. (PS fontnames are hardcoded yet.)
          > >
          > > some screenshots (output ps file using :hardcopy and view with gv)
          > > are available at
          > >
          > > http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim/
          >
          > Thanks for making this patch. I'll await comments.

          Very good.
          But I could not see generated ps file because I have no
          MingMT-.. and SMGothic-.. fonts.

          Currently I can see the ps file using
          {"Gulim", "Gulim-Bold",
          "Gulim-Oblique", "Gulim-BoldOblique"},

          There's a free truetype fonts (baekmuk-ttf) package.
          (ftp://ftp.mizi.co.kr/pub/baekmuk)
          So, how about use such a name for EUC-KR?
          (ex. fontconfig (XFree86 4.2.x) also use the name from Baekmuk.)
          Or at lease, let user select the fonts.

          Regards,
          namsh
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
            Namsh wrote:

            > > Motonobu Ichimura wrote:
            > >
            > > > :hardcopy doesn't support multibyte characters,
            > > > so I wrote a patch to support it.
            > > >
            > > > Currently this patch (can apply from 6.0 to 6.1.247) enables
            > > >
            > > > Japanese EUC-JP
            > > > Japanese SJIS
            > > > Korean EUC-KR
            > > > Chinese Big5
            > > > Chinese GB2312
            > > >
            > > > codeset to print PS file. (PS fontnames are hardcoded yet.)
            > > >
            > > > some screenshots (output ps file using :hardcopy and view with gv)
            > > > are available at
            > > >
            > > > http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim/
            > >
            > > Thanks for making this patch. I'll await comments.
            >
            > Very good.
            > But I could not see generated ps file because I have no
            > MingMT-.. and SMGothic-.. fonts.
            >
            > Currently I can see the ps file using
            > {"Gulim", "Gulim-Bold",
            > "Gulim-Oblique", "Gulim-BoldOblique"},
            >
            > There's a free truetype fonts (baekmuk-ttf) package.
            > (ftp://ftp.mizi.co.kr/pub/baekmuk)
            > So, how about use such a name for EUC-KR?
            > (ex. fontconfig (XFree86 4.2.x) also use the name from Baekmuk.)
            > Or at lease, let user select the fonts.

            That is one of the problems to be solved: How to select the printer
            fonts. We need a good mechanism for this. And then defaults that work
            for most people.

            --
            Living on Earth includes an annual free trip around the Sun.

          • Nam SungHyun
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
              On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:22:47 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Namsh wrote:

              > > Currently I can see the ps file using
              > > {"Gulim", "Gulim-Bold",
              > > "Gulim-Oblique", "Gulim-BoldOblique"},
              > >
              > > There's a free truetype fonts (baekmuk-ttf) package.
              > > (ftp://ftp.mizi.co.kr/pub/baekmuk)
              > > So, how about use such a name for EUC-KR?
              >
              > That is one of the problems to be solved: How to select the printer
              > fonts. We need a good mechanism for this. And then defaults that work
              > for most people.

              I think user can print using 'gs' if he can see it using 'gs'.
              I guess it means no need to know about printer fonts.

              At least, I can print ps file (including those generated by vim)
              using ghostscript.

              inf="$1"
              outf=tmp.lj
              gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -r600 -dNOPAUSE \
              -sOutputFile=${outf} ${inf} -c quit
              lpr -h ${outf}

              regards,
              namsh
            • Yasuhiro Matsumoto
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
                >Hi.
                >
                >:hardcopy doesn't support multibyte characters,
                >so I wrote a patch to support it.
                >
                >Currently this patch (can apply from 6.0 to 6.1.247) enables
                >
                >Japanese EUC-JP
                >Japanese SJIS
                >Korean EUC-KR
                >Chinese Big5
                >Chinese GB2312
                >
                >codeset to print PS file. (PS fontnames are hardcoded yet.)
                >
                >some screenshots (output ps file using :hardcopy and view with gv) are
                >available at

                Hello Ichimura.

                I tried your patch, it's great!.
                It is coincidence, I was just talking about this problem
                with Mike Williams and Bram at last month.

                I guess that it need bit's change. :-)
                I could output ps file on win32 with this patch.
                (I made this patch against your patch.)

                BTW)
                As bram said, there is a problem about
                "How to select the printer fonts."
                I think, it is very difficult for vim to select a CMap.
                Maybe, most users has the other way to output ps like a2ps.
                I think, vim don't need to change more after this patch.

                Thanks.

                *** ex_cmds2.c~ Thu Nov 07 11:42:14 2002
                --- ex_cmds2.c Thu Nov 07 11:39:51 2002
                ***************
                *** 2632,2637 ****
                --- 2632,2638 ----
                #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
                static void prt_set_mfont __ARGS((int bold, int italic, int underline));
                static void prt_mfont_init __ARGS((void));
                + void mch_print_set_mfont __ARGS((int, int, int));
                #endif
                static void prt_line_number __ARGS((prt_settings_T *psettings, int
                page_line, linenr_T lnum));
                static void prt_header __ARGS((prt_settings_T *psettings, int pagenum,
                linenr_T lnum));
                ***************
                *** 3465,3471 ****
                -250, 805,
                {"Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H",
                "Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H"},
                ! "sjis"
                },
                {
                /* Korean EUC-KR */
                --- 3466,3472 ----
                -250, 805,
                {"Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H",
                "Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H", "GothicBBB-Medium-RKSJ-H"},
                ! "sjis,shift_jis,cp932"
                },
                {
                /* Korean EUC-KR */
                ***************
                *** 3716,3727 ****
                }
                for (i = 0; i < SUPPORTED_ENCODINGS; i++)
                {
                ! if (!STRICMP(p_enc,prt_ps_mfonts[i].encoding))
                {
                ! prt_ps_mfont = prt_ps_mfonts[i];
                ! prt_has_mfont = TRUE;
                return;
                }
                }
                prt_has_mfont = FALSE;
                }
                --- 3717,3744 ----
                }
                for (i = 0; i < SUPPORTED_ENCODINGS; i++)
                {
                ! char_u *name;
                ! char_u *ptr = vim_strsave(prt_ps_mfonts[i].encoding);
                ! char_u *old = ptr;
                ! if (!ptr)
                {
                ! prt_has_mfont = FALSE;
                return;
                }
                + while(*ptr)
                + {
                + name = ptr;
                + while(*ptr != ',' && *ptr != '\0')
                + ptr++;
                + *ptr++ = 0;
                + if (!STRICMP(p_enc, name))
                + {
                + prt_ps_mfont = prt_ps_mfonts[i];
                + prt_has_mfont = TRUE;
                + return;
                + }
                + }
                + vim_free(old);
                }
                prt_has_mfont = FALSE;
                }
                ***************
                *** 4801,4807 ****
                if (len > 1) {
                int i;
                for (i = 0; i < len ; i++) {
                ! ga_append (&prt_ps_buffer, p[i]);
                }
                goto done;
                }
                --- 4818,4827 ----
                if (len > 1) {
                int i;
                for (i = 0; i < len ; i++) {
                ! ch = p[i];
                ! if (ch == '(' || ch == ')' || ch == '\\')
                ! ga_append(&prt_ps_buffer, IF_EB('\\', 0134));
                ! ga_append(&prt_ps_buffer, ch);
                }
                goto done;
                }
                --

                - Yasuhiro

              • Mike Williams
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 10, 2002
                  Hi,

                  I have a few comments. I am no expert in CJKV typography (how to
                  layout the characters) but have experience in the PostScript used to
                  them out, so please excuse me if I ask any silly questions. I
                  haven't seen the full set of patches so I may have missed some things
                  answered there.

                  I would suggest separating the CMap name from the font name. It may
                  be useful to change the CMap name based on the platform - for example
                  CMap 90ms-RKSJ-H supports Windows 3.1J and 95J characters sets. To
                  the support the Apple Macintosh Traditional Chinese character set you
                  need to use B5pc-H CMap. The font and CMap names can be joined
                  together when generating the output file.

                  A CMap defines the character collection to be used for printing, so
                  is also dependent on the display font being used if you want to be
                  able to print all the characters in the file. For example, the CMap
                  Ext-RKSJ-H includes IBM extensions to the JIS X 0208 character set,
                  or ETen-B5-H for the Big Fice character set with the ETen extensions.

                  A CMap can also defines the encoding. While RKSJ-H uses EUC-JP and
                  Shift-JIS, UniJIS-UCS2-H uses UCS-2 and UniJIS-UTF8-H uses UTF-8.
                  The Chinese and Korean character collections support additional
                  encodings as well.

                  The Courier font used for latin1 encoded files has a width of .6 of
                  the selected font height which is font specific (but common to Roman,
                  Bold, and Italic versions of Courier). Have you been able to find
                  the font metrics for the CID fonts? If not I guess you may be seeing
                  an odd spacing between lines (too big a gap is my guess).

                  Also, CID fonts can include half-width and proportional versions of
                  Latin characters. Are you mapping these back to the full-width
                  versions? Or leaving them as they are? Or is this not a problem?

                  Another thing to be aware of is that some Adobe documented CMaps may
                  not be available on a printer. The behaviour of a printer is
                  unpredictable when this happens - it may not print anything, it may
                  substitute a default CMap, or it may even revert to printing as
                  single byte encoded using Courier or Helvetica. Has anyone tried
                  this?

                  There are a number of PDFs on CID fonts and CMaps publicly available
                  at http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/technotes/fonts.html
                  In particular Technical Note 5094 may be of interest as it lists the
                  current standard Adobe CMaps for Chinese, Japanese and Korean CID
                  fonts.

                  I am happy to help, do, or review any PostScript coding to support
                  multi-byte printing in VIM. Just drop me a line.

                  TTFN

                  On 7 Nov 2002 at 12:00, Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                  > >Hi.
                  > >
                  > >:hardcopy doesn't support multibyte characters,
                  > >so I wrote a patch to support it.
                  > >
                  > >Currently this patch (can apply from 6.0 to 6.1.247) enables
                  > >
                  > >Japanese EUC-JP
                  > >Japanese SJIS
                  > >Korean EUC-KR
                  > >Chinese Big5
                  > >Chinese GB2312
                  > >
                  > >codeset to print PS file. (PS fontnames are hardcoded yet.)
                  > >
                  > >some screenshots (output ps file using :hardcopy and view with gv) are
                  > >available at
                  >
                  > Hello Ichimura.
                  >
                  > I tried your patch, it's great!.
                  > It is coincidence, I was just talking about this problem
                  > with Mike Williams and Bram at last month.
                  >
                  > I guess that it need bit's change. :-)
                  > I could output ps file on win32 with this patch.
                  > (I made this patch against your patch.)
                  >
                  > BTW)
                  > As bram said, there is a problem about
                  > "How to select the printer fonts."
                  > I think, it is very difficult for vim to select a CMap.
                  > Maybe, most users has the other way to output ps like a2ps.
                  > I think, vim don't need to change more after this patch.
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                  Mike
                  --
                  One good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.