Re: [BUG] Ambiguous-width character handling

  • Autrijus Tang
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2002
      On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:37:04PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Noah Levitt wrote:
      > > On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 21:43:00 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > > Note that Vim only supports one font for the whole Vim window. I don't
      > > > expect that a single font has two glyphs for the same character,
      > > > depending on the context. Therefore the choice for whether an ambiguous
      > > > character is single or double width should match the font.
      > > What about guifont and guifontwide? The fonts I use have
      > > some overlap.
      > That has a chicken-egg problem: the choice between the two fonts is made
      > based on the width of a character. There could be a test if a glyph for
      > a character is available, but that's complicated.

      Yes, and I'd think that it is somehow "too smart" for Vim to probe
      the glyph's width -- what if the guifont has the narrow glyph, and
      guifontwide has the East Asian-fullwidth glyph?

      A separate option, maybe probed initially be some heuristic
      (but not neccessary), is IMHO more natural.

      > > Incidentally, Autrijus's sample line gave me no problems in
      > > an utf8 xterm. It treated the characters as single-width.
      > > xterm uses Markus Kuhn's wcwidth, I believe.
      > The function I use has the same source, thus it's no surprise Vim and
      > Xterm work well together. The problem probably only exists on Asian
      > terminals.

      Or rather, only existing on East Asian fonts, like the one I use here:
      "ar pl mingti2l big5-iso10646-1;"

      Switching to other fonts can surely match the single-width results
      given by wcwidth, but since text files prepared other unicode/big5
      editors will assume double-width layout, the resulting formatting
      and display will be incorrect from the author's perspective.

      Thanks,
      /Autrijus/