Re: clipboard considerations

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21 5:25 PM
      From: "Maiorana, Jason" <jmaiorana@...>
      To: <vim-multibyte@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 11:58 PM
      Subject: RE: clipboard considerations

      > Bram wrote:
      > >You can edit many languages in UTF-8, but you won't have real locale
      > >support (case swapping, for example). I have complained before that
      > >it's not possible to use several locales at the same time (in Vim it
      > >would be local to the buffer).
      >
      > Thank you, Ive been waiting for others besides me to care about this!
      > Any single locale wont help me. What i need are apps where the locale
      > can be changed in increments and simultaneously.
      >
      > If anyone is interested, I have a bit of code that can create a unicode
      > case mapper (UPPER/lower) that works for all languages, to an extent
      > (none of the multi-letter mappings in the extended case extensions,just
      > simple single char to single char) which should work for all unicode.

      I'm interested, at least for latin scripts (including French, German and
      Esperanto), Greek and Russian. Is it a binary or a vim script? If the
      latter, maybe you should publish it at vim-online. If the former, is it for
      M$W, for U*X, or do I have to compile it myself? (I don't have a working
      compiler for M$W at the moment.) And I'm sure there are other people,
      non-subscribers to vim-multibyte, who'd be interested in such a case mapper
      too. (Vim-multibyte apparently is mostly for developers. Lots of Vimmers --
      IMHO -- use Unicode without subscribing to this particular ML.)

      > Imagine this:
      > encoding: utf-8
      > date-format: US/english
      > error-messages: US-english
      > case translation: Unicode-simple
      > buffer1
      > language collation: vietnamese
      > input method: viqr
      > buffer 2
      > language collation: japanese/a ka sa ta
      > input method: roumaji
      > buffer 3
      > language collation: japanese/alphabetic
      > input method: roumaji
      > buffer 4
      > language collation: german
      > case-translation: german double S thingy
      > input method: straight

      or maybe the same but date format: dd-Mon-yyyy and error-messages: en_US ?

      Is Japanes a-ka-sa-ta different from Japanese-a-i-u-e-o which I had
      explained to me? (a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko sa si su se so ta ti tu te to
      IIUC) And I suppose that, using vim sorting scripts, you could sort indexes
      from a-i-u-e-o to i-ro-ha-ni-ho-he-to and vice-versa almost as easily as you
      convert files from Latin1 to utf-8 or from dos (CR-NL) to unix (NL only)...

      Nice to have if it doesn't break something else. But how far in the future?

      > >How would you (accidentally) produce an overlong sequence? If this is
      > >very unlikely to happen, only the security issue remains.
      >
      > Yes, it generally happens on purpose. Making it impossible to
      > use/ignore/read/miss is the goal.

      Regards,