Re: SJIS EUC-JP

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2002
      On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 01:32:58PM -0400, seer26@... wrote:
      > When using vim/gvim vith EUC-JP or SJIS
      > it doesnt seem to work: the japanese characters are
      > not displayed, instead i see the the raw coding.

      If you're using enc=euc-jp, try enc=utf-8 and just changing the
      fileencoding for the files you're editing. If you have iconv available,
      there should never be a reason to set enc to anything else.

      (Of course, a rendering bug when setting enc=euc-jp is still a rendering
      bug.)

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2002
        Seer26 wrote:

        > When using vim/gvim vith EUC-JP or SJIS
        > it doesnt seem to work: the japanese characters are
        > not displayed, instead i see the the raw coding.
        >
        > Perhaps its because im using a unicode font: does
        > euc-jp/sjis require fonts encoded to their respective
        > encodings nativly?

        Yes, the font used must match 'encoding'. There is no conversion
        between 'encoding' and the font you use like there is for a terminal.

        > Also, the iconv wrapper does have the capability to
        > insert '?'s, so moving _VIM_TEXT to utf-8 has that
        > upside. On the other hand, when experimenting with
        > pasting utf-8 into a iso-8859-1 document the string_convert
        > routine stumbled alot: trying to allocate (size_t)-1
        > bytes, inserting lots of garbage into the result, etc.
        >
        > Anyway, attached is my latest patch which includes cleanup
        > of the vimconv_T. I didnt change _VIM_TEXT to be utf-8,
        > unless someone else thinks that would be a good idea...

        Is this based on a patch someone else made? Anyway, I never include
        patches without knowing the real-life name of the sender.

        227. You sleep next to your monitor. Or on top of it.