SJIS EUC-JP

  • seer26@telocity.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2002
      When using vim/gvim vith EUC-JP or SJIS
      it doesnt seem to work: the japanese characters are
      not displayed, instead i see the the raw coding.

      Perhaps its because im using a unicode font: does
      euc-jp/sjis require fonts encoded to their respective
      encodings nativly?

      Also, the iconv wrapper does have the capability to
      insert '?'s, so moving _VIM_TEXT to utf-8 has that
      upside. On the other hand, when experimenting with
      pasting utf-8 into a iso-8859-1 document the string_convert
      routine stumbled alot: trying to allocate (size_t)-1
      bytes, inserting lots of garbage into the result, etc.

      Anyway, attached is my latest patch which includes cleanup
      of the vimconv_T. I didnt change _VIM_TEXT to be utf-8,
      unless someone else thinks that would be a good idea...

      also look here if its not attached:
      http://members.telocity.com/~seer26/gui_gtk_utf8.diff
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2002
        On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 01:32:58PM -0400, seer26@... wrote:
        > When using vim/gvim vith EUC-JP or SJIS
        > it doesnt seem to work: the japanese characters are
        > not displayed, instead i see the the raw coding.

        If you're using enc=euc-jp, try enc=utf-8 and just changing the
        fileencoding for the files you're editing. If you have iconv available,
        there should never be a reason to set enc to anything else.

        (Of course, a rendering bug when setting enc=euc-jp is still a rendering
        bug.)

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2002
          Seer26 wrote:

          > When using vim/gvim vith EUC-JP or SJIS
          > it doesnt seem to work: the japanese characters are
          > not displayed, instead i see the the raw coding.
          >
          > Perhaps its because im using a unicode font: does
          > euc-jp/sjis require fonts encoded to their respective
          > encodings nativly?

          Yes, the font used must match 'encoding'. There is no conversion
          between 'encoding' and the font you use like there is for a terminal.

          > Also, the iconv wrapper does have the capability to
          > insert '?'s, so moving _VIM_TEXT to utf-8 has that
          > upside. On the other hand, when experimenting with
          > pasting utf-8 into a iso-8859-1 document the string_convert
          > routine stumbled alot: trying to allocate (size_t)-1
          > bytes, inserting lots of garbage into the result, etc.
          >
          > Anyway, attached is my latest patch which includes cleanup
          > of the vimconv_T. I didnt change _VIM_TEXT to be utf-8,
          > unless someone else thinks that would be a good idea...

          Is this based on a patch someone else made? Anyway, I never include
          patches without knowing the real-life name of the sender.

          227. You sleep next to your monitor. Or on top of it.