Re: unicode conversions

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2002
      On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 01:25:26AM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > Well, maybe not iconv then. (Guess I'm a little out of my depth in this ml.)
      > Or is it some browsers trying to "improve" on non-available from-unicode
      > conversions? I know Lynx converts Unicode eta to cp437 y and I think

      Lynx has its own transliteration. It's poor to uselessness, in my
      experience. (I've only tried it with Japanese hiragana; that's an easy
      translit, though it does need some context.)

      > Konqueror does the same when its default display is iso-8859-1 but I'm less
      > sure of that. Yesterday I sent a Unicode mail with a sentence in Esperanto
      > and got it back quoted in some non-unicode reply mail from the US with the
      > circumflexes stripped but the letters otherwise OK. Just haphazard symptoms,

      Lots of mailers break encodings in quoting; it's the mailer's fault.
      It happens with all encodings.

      > as you see. Maybe I shoulda kept silent.

      Chime in all you want; it's a public list. :) There's just enough fear
      of incompatibility on this list that I'm trying to keep any new false
      ones from forming ...