RE: UTF8_STRING patch

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2002
      Jason Maiorana wrote:

      > >For the conversion, look in mbyte.c. The functions convert_setup() and
      > >string_convert() should be able to do it.
      >
      > one quick question: how do you determine which is the appropriate
      > encoding to pass to "clip_yank_selection".
      >
      > It looks like the GDK functions all assume that the data is in the
      > format of the current locale: this is incorrect i think. I set
      > encoding=utf8 which does not match my en_US locale. I dont have
      > really working locales for utf8, if there was an "allLangs_USkbd.utf8"
      > locale i would use it.

      I dunno. You could try looking in the GTK documentation (but you
      probably end up looking in the source code...).

      > Converting COMPOUND_TEXT to my current locale would only corrupt it,
      > which probably explains why that never worked for me. Doesnt vim
      > have some notion of internal representation encoding? If vim were
      > to always use utf-8 internally in all situations, that would make
      > UTF8_STRING conversion a non-issue...

      The value of 'encoding' defines the encoding used internally in Vim for
      all text in buffers, registers, etc.

      --
      "Hit any key to continue" it said, but nothing happened after F sharp.

    • Maiorana, Jason
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 12, 2002
        > > It looks like the GDK functions all assume that the data is in the
        > > format of the current locale: this is incorrect i think.

        >I dunno. You could try looking in the GTK documentation (but you
        >probably end up looking in the source code...).

        Its says in their doc's that "gdk_text_property_to_text_list" converts
        from "compound text" the process's current locale. Vim however needs
        the text to be in option["encoding"] encoding, regardless of the
        current locale. So I think that pasting compound text through gtk
        into a vim where buffer encoding doesnt match locale LC_CTYPE wont work.
        Mostly this is irrelevant because COMPOUND_TEXT is thoroughly deprecated
        imo.

        >> Converting COMPOUND_TEXT to my current locale would only corrupt it,
        >> which probably explains why that never worked for me. Doesnt vim
        >> have some notion of internal representation encoding? If vim were
        >> to always use utf-8 internally in all situations, that would make
        >> UTF8_STRING conversion a non-issue...

        >The value of 'encoding' defines the encoding used internally in Vim for
        >all text in buffers, registers, etc.

        I will look into calling "get_option_value" for the purpose of passing
        "convert_setup".
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 12, 2002
          On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 03:41:55PM -0400, Maiorana, Jason wrote:
          > >The value of 'encoding' defines the encoding used internally in Vim for
          > >all text in buffers, registers, etc.
          >
          > I will look into calling "get_option_value" for the purpose of passing
          > "convert_setup".

          Just pass p_enc.