Re: Bug report and IME suggestions

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
      Glenn Maynard wrote:

      > On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 03:11:09PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
      > > > It would be good to avoid the display to be messed up. If just this one
      > > > character isn't displayed correctly that's not much of a problem (leave
      > > > out half of the pixel columns or just show one half?).
      > >
      > > It's at least five characters: U+25CF, U+2018, U+2019, U+201C, U+201D.
      > > I'm considering throwing together a program to see if there are others.
      >
      > An incomplete list:
      >
      > Ǎ ǎ Ǐ ǐ Ǒ ǒ Ǔ ǔ Ǖ ǖ
      [..]

      Phew, that's a lot.

      > Putty renders these half-width. That generally looks bad, but is almost
      > always better than just rendering the left half of the glyph. It's easy
      > to do; create another font with half the normal width, so wide charcters
      > end up normal width.
      >
      > This doesn't work for quotes. My patch to Putty to fix this (and, as a
      > nice bonus, the backslash in Japanese fonts) is working; I'm caching the
      > characters in HBITMAPs ahead of time, so it's a lot faster now. This
      > fix are font-specific. (I might be able to devise a test to generalize
      > the quote fix.)
      >
      > Do you want me to try to port this to Vim?

      Sounds like a good idea. Does the same trick also work to turn a
      proportionally spaced font into fixed-width? That's an item on the todo
      list, since there aren't that many fixed-width fonts available. Might
      keep that in mind when writing the code (doesn't need to be implemented
      right away).

      93. New mail alarm on your palmtop annoys other churchgoers.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
        On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:32:28AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Sounds like a good idea. Does the same trick also work to turn a
        > proportionally spaced font into fixed-width? That's an item on the todo
        > list, since there aren't that many fixed-width fonts available. Might
        > keep that in mind when writing the code (doesn't need to be implemented
        > right away).

        I think it'd use too much memory. (I have a different idea, using the
        width array parameter of the font rendering function.) I'll keep it in
        mind, though.

      • alexandre.elias@mail.mcgill.ca
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
          On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 05:41:36PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
          > Anyway, the whole "don't toggle the IME in normal mode" is minor (to me).
          > It doesn't happen to me very often, it'd just be a niceity; the iminsert
          > default is far more important. Alex, if you want to argue for it (and
          > code it), feel free. :)

          Yeah, I'll look into it and try to come up with a patch when I have the
          time. From what I've seen of the code, intercepting and killing the IME
          in normal/visual mode shouldn't be very hard.

          This behavior is obviously desirable with the Windows IME, so IMHO it
          isn't necessary to add a new option. It's extremely silly to map a
          Japanese character to a vim command in Windows: in order to use it,
          you'd have to press alt-~ (IME enable key), type the character, press
          enter to confirm, and then press alt-~ again to disable the IME. It'll
          never happen. And the Windows IME support seems almost completely
          separate from the X support, so any change I would make wouldn't bother
          X users.

          Sounds like you guys are sorting out all of the other issues :). Thanks
          for looking into it.

          Alex