Re: Bug report and IME suggestions

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2002
      On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 03:11:09PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
      > > It would be good to avoid the display to be messed up. If just this one
      > > character isn't displayed correctly that's not much of a problem (leave
      > > out half of the pixel columns or just show one half?).
      >
      > It's at least five characters: U+25CF, U+2018, U+2019, U+201C, U+201D.
      > I'm considering throwing together a program to see if there are others.

      An incomplete list:

      Ǎ ǎ Ǐ ǐ Ǒ ǒ Ǔ ǔ Ǖ ǖ Ǘ ǘ Ǚ ǚ Ǜ ǜ Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ ΢ Σ Τ
      Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω А Б В Г Д Е Ж
      З И Й К Л М Н О П Р С Т У Ф Х Ц Ч Ш Щ Ъ Ы Ь Э Ю Я а б в г д е ж з и й к
      л м н о п р с т у ф х ц ч ш щ ъ ы ь э ю я Ⅰ Ⅱ Ⅲ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ Ⅺ Ⅻ Ⅼ Ⅽ Ⅾ
      Ⅿ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ ⅺ ⅻ ⅼ ⅽ ⅾ ⅿ ↀ ↁ ↂ ← ↑ → ↓ ⇒ ⇔ ∀ ∂ ∃ ∇ ∈ ∋ ∑ √ ∝ ∞
      ∟ ∠ ∥ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ∫ ∬ ∮ ∴ ∵ ∽ ≒ ≠ ≡ ≦ ≧ ≪ ≫ ⊂ ⊃ ⊆ ⊇ ⊥ ⊿ ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩
      ⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮ ⑯ ⑰ ⑱ ⑲ ⑳ ⑴ ⑵ ⑶ ⑷ ⑸ ⑹ ⑺ ⑻ ⑼ ⑽ ⑾ ⑿ ⒀ ⒁ ⒂ ⒃ ⒄ ⒅ ⒆ ⒇ ⒈ ⒉ ⒊ ⒋ ⒌ ⒍
      ⒎ ⒏ ⒐ ⒑ ⒒ ⒓ ⒔ ⒕ ⒖ ⒗ ⒘ ⒙ ⒚ ⒛ ⒜ ⒝ ⒞ ⒟ ⒠ ⒡ ⒢ ⒣ ⒤ ⒥ ⒦ ⒧ ⒨ ⒩ ⒪ ⒫ ⒬ ⒭ ⒮ ⒯ ⒰ ⒱
      ⒲ ⒳ ⒴ ⒵ Ⓐ Ⓑ Ⓒ Ⓓ Ⓔ Ⓕ Ⓖ Ⓗ Ⓘ Ⓙ Ⓚ Ⓛ Ⓜ Ⓝ Ⓞ Ⓟ Ⓠ Ⓡ Ⓢ Ⓣ Ⓤ Ⓥ Ⓦ Ⓧ Ⓨ Ⓩ ⓐ ⓑ ⓒ ⓓ ⓔ ⓕ
      ⓖ ⓗ ⓘ ⓙ ⓚ ⓛ ⓜ ⓝ ⓞ ⓟ ⓠ ⓡ ⓢ ⓣ ⓤ ⓥ ⓦ ⓧ ⓨ ⓩ ⓪ ─ ━ │ ┃ ┌ ┏ ┐ ┓ └ ┗ ┘ ┛ ├ ┝ ┠
      ┣ ┤ ┥ ┨ ┫ ┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋ ■ □ ▲ △ ▼ ▽ ◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ◯ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☄ ★ ☆
      ☇ ☈ ☉ ☊ ☋ ☌ ☍ ☎ ☏ ☐ ☑ ☒ ☓ ☚ ☛ ☜ ☝ ☞ ☟ ☠ ☡ ☢ ☣ ☤ ☥ ☦ ☧ ☨ ☩ ☪ ☫ ☬ ☭ ☮ ☯ ☰
      ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷ ☸ ☽ ☾ ☿ ♀ ♁ ♂ ♃ ♄ ♅ ♆ ♇ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ ♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘
      ♙ ♚ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ♟ ♨ ♪ ♭ ♯ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✅ ✆ ✇ ✈ ✉ ✌ ✍ ✎ ✏ ✐ ✑ ✒ ✓ ✔ ✕ ✖ ✗ ✘ ✙ ✚ ✛
      ✜ ✝ ✞ ✟ ✠ ✡ ✢ ✣ ✤ ✥ ✦ ✧ ✨ ✩ ✪ ✫ ✬ ✭ ✮ ✯ ✰ ✱ ✲ ✳ ✴ ✵ ✶ ✷ ✸ ✹ ✺ ✻ ✼ ✽ ✾ ✿
      ❀ ❁ ❂ ❃ ❄ ❅ ❆ ❇ ❈ ❉ ❊ ❋ ❌ ❍ ❎ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒

      Putty renders these half-width. That generally looks bad, but is almost
      always better than just rendering the left half of the glyph. It's easy
      to do; create another font with half the normal width, so wide charcters
      end up normal width.

      This doesn't work for quotes. My patch to Putty to fix this (and, as a
      nice bonus, the backslash in Japanese fonts) is working; I'm caching the
      characters in HBITMAPs ahead of time, so it's a lot faster now. This
      fix are font-specific. (I might be able to devise a test to generalize
      the quote fix.)

      Do you want me to try to port this to Vim?

      For those curious, http://zewt.org/~glenn/backslash.jpg contains a
      screenshot of the results: single-width Unicode quotes and a repaired
      backslash in a Japanese font, along with the above characters rendered
      half-width.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
        Glenn Maynard wrote:

        > On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 03:11:09PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
        > > > It would be good to avoid the display to be messed up. If just this one
        > > > character isn't displayed correctly that's not much of a problem (leave
        > > > out half of the pixel columns or just show one half?).
        > >
        > > It's at least five characters: U+25CF, U+2018, U+2019, U+201C, U+201D.
        > > I'm considering throwing together a program to see if there are others.
        >
        > An incomplete list:
        >
        > Ǎ ǎ Ǐ ǐ Ǒ ǒ Ǔ ǔ Ǖ ǖ
        [..]

        Phew, that's a lot.

        > Putty renders these half-width. That generally looks bad, but is almost
        > always better than just rendering the left half of the glyph. It's easy
        > to do; create another font with half the normal width, so wide charcters
        > end up normal width.
        >
        > This doesn't work for quotes. My patch to Putty to fix this (and, as a
        > nice bonus, the backslash in Japanese fonts) is working; I'm caching the
        > characters in HBITMAPs ahead of time, so it's a lot faster now. This
        > fix are font-specific. (I might be able to devise a test to generalize
        > the quote fix.)
        >
        > Do you want me to try to port this to Vim?

        Sounds like a good idea. Does the same trick also work to turn a
        proportionally spaced font into fixed-width? That's an item on the todo
        list, since there aren't that many fixed-width fonts available. Might
        keep that in mind when writing the code (doesn't need to be implemented
        right away).

        93. New mail alarm on your palmtop annoys other churchgoers.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
          On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:32:28AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Sounds like a good idea. Does the same trick also work to turn a
          > proportionally spaced font into fixed-width? That's an item on the todo
          > list, since there aren't that many fixed-width fonts available. Might
          > keep that in mind when writing the code (doesn't need to be implemented
          > right away).

          I think it'd use too much memory. (I have a different idea, using the
          width array parameter of the font rendering function.) I'll keep it in
          mind, though.

        • alexandre.elias@mail.mcgill.ca
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
            On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 05:41:36PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
            > Anyway, the whole "don't toggle the IME in normal mode" is minor (to me).
            > It doesn't happen to me very often, it'd just be a niceity; the iminsert
            > default is far more important. Alex, if you want to argue for it (and
            > code it), feel free. :)

            Yeah, I'll look into it and try to come up with a patch when I have the
            time. From what I've seen of the code, intercepting and killing the IME
            in normal/visual mode shouldn't be very hard.

            This behavior is obviously desirable with the Windows IME, so IMHO it
            isn't necessary to add a new option. It's extremely silly to map a
            Japanese character to a vim command in Windows: in order to use it,
            you'd have to press alt-~ (IME enable key), type the character, press
            enter to confirm, and then press alt-~ again to disable the IME. It'll
            never happen. And the Windows IME support seems almost completely
            separate from the X support, so any change I would make wouldn't bother
            X users.

            Sounds like you guys are sorting out all of the other issues :). Thanks
            for looking into it.

            Alex