Re: Problems converting to utf-8

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
      <RampaL@...> writes:
      >I try to convert text with czech national characters to utf-8 with
      >++enc option of write command. It seems that vim converts chars as
      >if they are in cp1252 (Latin1) instead of cp1250 (Latin2).
      >
      >My setup:
      >OS is set to Czech locale (:language returns "Czech_Czech Republic.1250")
      >encoding=cp1250
      >termencoding=cp1250
      >guifont=courier_new_CE:h9 (which is czech one)
      >:version says +multi_byte is there

      Do you have the 'iconv.dll'? Or are you using the internal Windows functions?

      FWIW, you can get the latest iconv.dll (compiled by me, version 1.7.0.1) here:

      http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/iconv.dll

      It's 600K.
      Ron
    • RampaL@aimtec.cz
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
        > <RampaL@...> writes:
        > >I try to convert text with czech national characters to utf-8 with
        > >++enc option of write command. It seems that vim converts chars as
        > >if they are in cp1252 (Latin1) instead of cp1250 (Latin2).
        > >
        > >My setup:
        > >OS is set to Czech locale (:language returns "Czech_Czech
        Republic.1250")
        > >encoding=cp1250
        > >termencoding=cp1250
        > >guifont=courier_new_CE:h9 (which is czech one)
        > >:version says +multi_byte is there
        >
        > Do you have the 'iconv.dll'? Or are you using the internal Windows
        functions?

        I use internal Windows functions (probably, now I've searched throu disk
        and
        found C:\Program Files\Common Files\GNU\iconv-1.3.dll, but it is not in
        PATH).

        > FWIW, you can get the latest iconv.dll (compiled by me, version 1.7.0.1)
        here:

        > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/iconv.dll

        I did, I put it to vim\vim60 directory. Now I can input national chars
        with encoding=utf-8 and termencoding=cp1250 (although latin small letter e
        with caron has problem - after pressing it I must press any key once more,
        then this char appears. It lies on the key with number 2 and @ sign. Other
        chars
        work perfect). This solves my problem, I can create utf-8 files now.

        ++enc behavior hasn't changed.

        If I can help somehow with diagnosing the problem with one character
        mentioned,
        don't hesitate to send a note.

        Thank you,
        Lukas Rampa
      • Francis S.Lin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2001
          * Ron Aaron <raaron@...> [011114 02:22]:
          > Do you have the 'iconv.dll'? Or are you using the internal Windows
          > functions?
          > FWIW, you can get the latest iconv.dll (compiled by me, version
          > 1.7.0.1) here:
          > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/iconv.dll
          > It's 600K.
          The official Win32 self-installer build
          (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim60.exe)
          is compiled with +iconv/dyn.
          I think that requires an external iconv.dll, but no any iconv.dll is
          provided inside the installer.
          Without this DLL, we cannot do any encoding conversion...

          Why isn't an iconv.dll included? Maybe we should put one or tell
          users where to find the iconv.dll in the documents (eval.txt?).

          --
          piaip, Francis.S.Lin
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2001
            Francis S.Lin wrote:

            > * Ron Aaron <raaron@...> [011114 02:22]:
            > > Do you have the 'iconv.dll'? Or are you using the internal Windows
            > > functions?
            > > FWIW, you can get the latest iconv.dll (compiled by me, version
            > > 1.7.0.1) here:
            > > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/iconv.dll
            > > It's 600K.
            > The official Win32 self-installer build
            > (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim60.exe)
            > is compiled with +iconv/dyn.
            > I think that requires an external iconv.dll, but no any iconv.dll is
            > provided inside the installer.
            > Without this DLL, we cannot do any encoding conversion...
            >
            > Why isn't an iconv.dll included? Maybe we should put one or tell
            > users where to find the iconv.dll in the documents (eval.txt?).

            We could include an iconv.dll with the self-installing executable. It's
            a bit big though (total goes from 3.4 M to 4M), and not many people will
            actually use it.

            104. When people ask about the Presidential Election you ask "Which country?"