Recognizing language on MS-Windows

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2001
      When you install the MS-Windows version with the self-installing .exe, you are
      prompted to set $LANG manually. This is quite annoying.

      For people who use English MS-Windows, we should not show this message, it
      confuses them.

      For people who use a language version of MS-Windows, or set their language to
      something else than English, there should be some way to automatically detect
      this in Vim and default to using messages and menus in this language (if
      available). Then the user doesn't need to find out how he has to select the
      language.

      Does someone know how to do this? A complication might be that the
      libintl.dll that we use recognizes Unix-style language names. For menus there
      already are a few files with different names, perhaps we just need to add a
      few more. An example is $VIMRUNTIME/lang/menu_spanish_spain.850.vim.

      --
      System administrators are just like women: You can't live with them and you
      can't live without them.