Vim6.0aq patch: Athena tooltip fontset fix

  • David Harrison Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      Problem: When starting gvim in a locale other than the default
      (particularly an Asian locale), the tooltips looked like gibberish.

      This was due to the fact that the "fixed" font was being used and was
      only ISO8859-1 compatible.

      Solution: Wildcard much of the information about what font to use,
      including the charset, and size. This allows the appropriate fontset to
      be loaded for the currently set locale (Asian, too), and allows for a
      wide variety of fonts to be matched by default.

      Enjoy,
      David Harrison Jr.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
        David Harrison wrote:

        > Problem: When starting gvim in a locale other than the default
        > (particularly an Asian locale), the tooltips looked like gibberish.
        >
        > This was due to the fact that the "fixed" font was being used and was
        > only ISO8859-1 compatible.
        >
        > Solution: Wildcard much of the information about what font to use,
        > including the charset, and size. This allows the appropriate fontset to
        > be loaded for the currently set locale (Asian, too), and allows for a
        > wide variety of fonts to be matched by default.

        Sounds like a good idea. However, for me it still doesn't work. I might not
        have the right fonts on my system.

        This does work for me (in my .vimrc file):

        hi tooltip font=k12,r12

        Hmm, looking these up the contain fixed-medium-r-normal. Thus they should
        have worked with "fixed" just as well with the new one...

        226. You sit down at the computer right after dinner and your spouse
        says "See you in the morning."