Re: [60ad, mb] encoding names not depend on platform

  • Muraoka Taro
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2001
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > I'll include most of your patch. I think that cp950 and big5 are similar
      > enough to keep the alias. Is that right?

      CP950 is extended version of Big5 by Microsoft. Microsoft have added
      some codes to Big5 and make it to call CP950. CP950 has some
      additionaly codes. Big5 does not have these.

      CP932 has additionaly codes and some different code assignments from
      Shift-JIS. Those differences of code assignment will cause some trouble
      when do conversion.

      If there are only addition of codes in CP950, Big5 alias CP950 is good
      idea. There are no differences of code assignment between CP950 and
      Big5 as far as I know. But we should listen one's opinion who use these
      Chinese encodings.
      ----
      Muraoka Taro <koron@...>
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2001
        Muraoka Taro wrote:

        > > I'll include most of your patch. I think that cp950 and big5 are similar
        > > enough to keep the alias. Is that right?
        >
        > CP950 is extended version of Big5 by Microsoft. Microsoft have added
        > some codes to Big5 and make it to call CP950. CP950 has some
        > additionaly codes. Big5 does not have these.

        Right. Thus conversion between these two encodings don't make much sense,
        right? On the other hand, when you have a cp950 file and 'fileencoding' is
        set to "big5", would conversion to e.g. Unicode drop some characters?

        An alternative would be to use the cp950 name always. I'm not sure if this
        causes problems on Unix, where cp950 isn't supported by the locale.

        > CP932 has additionaly codes and some different code assignments from
        > Shift-JIS. Those differences of code assignment will cause some trouble
        > when do conversion.

        I have removed the alias between shift-jis and cp932, thus this should be
        fixed now.

        86. E-mail Deficiency Depression (EDD) forces you to e-mail yourself.