Re: Switching XIM on and off

  • Chong-Dae Park
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
      On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 12:54:37PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Let's use an example: You are inserting Korean characters, thus XIM is set to
      > your language mode. Then you hit <Esc> and you want to type some Normal mode
      > command, like "j". Currently, the user has to first switch the XIM mode to
      > English, right? That is an extra action the user has to do.

      Yes. You are right.
      But... Many programmers are also feel that this is stupid.
      And there is a hack. If a user types <ESC>, XIM changes mode to English
      automatically.

      (It makes emacs users unhappy and make patchs that make this behavior
      optional.)

      As I know, Windows Input Method does not support it because Windows is not
      VI-friendly.

      --
      Chong-Dae Park
      -- ' C-language Edition
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
        Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:

        > So, you will apply my patch (at least edit.c patch), right? :)
        > And then, gvim user has a benefit than terminal-version.

        Yes, I will now include the switching of XIM on/off. I'll do that for Insert
        mode, entering a search pattern and for the argument of commands like "r" and
        "f". Please check in the next version that this works well.

        100. The most exciting sporting events you noticed during summer 1996
        was Netscape vs. Microsoft.