Re: Switching XIM on and off

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
      Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:

      > > > Unix :
      > > [...]
      > > > I believe VIM cannot set 'Native language' or 'English' Mode.
      > > > VIM only can do 'enable' or 'disable' XIM. and user set language
      > > > mode manually. Well, in my case, when XIM enabled, it enters to
      > > > previous language mode. But, I think it's not the same
      > > > situation in Windows (Origin and English mode).
      > >
      > > When the XIM is disabled, this means you can type English, right?
      > > Thus isn't switching the XIM on/off nearly equal to switching between
      > > English and language mode?
      >
      > When the XIM is disabled, VIM got a character from the X(?).
      > When the XIM is enabled, user can select language mode.
      > And XIM handle user input and send a character to VIM both english
      > character or native language.
      > Because english character does not need to compose, XIM send the
      > character immediately.

      Let's use an example: You are inserting Korean characters, thus XIM is set to
      your language mode. Then you hit <Esc> and you want to type some Normal mode
      command, like "j". Currently, the user has to first switch the XIM mode to
      English, right? That is an extra action the user has to do.

      My idea was that when Vim switches from Insert mode to Normal mode, the XIM
      would be disabled, thus the typed characters are obtained directly, and you
      don't need to switch language mode in the XIM. When you enter Insert mode
      again, the XIM would be enabled and you are back in your language mode
      automatically.

      Thus the idea is to avoid the need to have the user manually switch his XIM
      between English and language mode.

      95. Only communication in your household is through email.

    • Nam SungHyun
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > > > [...]
        > > >
        > > > When the XIM is disabled, this means you can type English, right?
        > > > Thus isn't switching the XIM on/off nearly equal to switching between
        > > > English and language mode?
        > >
        > > When the XIM is disabled, VIM got a character from the X(?).
        > > When the XIM is enabled, user can select language mode.
        > > And XIM handle user input and send a character to VIM both english
        > > character or native language.
        > > Because english character does not need to compose, XIM send the
        > > character immediately.
        >
        > Let's use an example: You are inserting Korean characters, thus XIM is
        > set to your language mode. Then you hit <Esc> and you want to type
        > some Normal mode command, like "j". Currently, the user has to first
        > switch the XIM mode to English, right? That is an extra action the
        > user has to do.

        Yes. Terminal+xim+vim user should do that.

        > My idea was that when Vim switches from Insert mode to Normal mode,
        > the XIM would be disabled, thus the typed characters are obtained
        > directly, and you don't need to switch language mode in the XIM. When
        > you enter Insert mode again, the XIM would be enabled and you are back
        > in your language mode automatically.
        >
        > Thus the idea is to avoid the need to have the user manually switch his XIM
        > between English and language mode.

        So, you will apply my patch (at least edit.c patch), right? :)
        And then, gvim user has a benefit than terminal-version.

        regards,

        namsh
      • Chong-Dae Park
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
          On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 12:54:37PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Let's use an example: You are inserting Korean characters, thus XIM is set to
          > your language mode. Then you hit <Esc> and you want to type some Normal mode
          > command, like "j". Currently, the user has to first switch the XIM mode to
          > English, right? That is an extra action the user has to do.

          Yes. You are right.
          But... Many programmers are also feel that this is stupid.
          And there is a hack. If a user types <ESC>, XIM changes mode to English
          automatically.

          (It makes emacs users unhappy and make patchs that make this behavior
          optional.)

          As I know, Windows Input Method does not support it because Windows is not
          VI-friendly.

          --
          Chong-Dae Park
          -- ' C-language Edition
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
            Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:

            > So, you will apply my patch (at least edit.c patch), right? :)
            > And then, gvim user has a benefit than terminal-version.

            Yes, I will now include the switching of XIM on/off. I'll do that for Insert
            mode, entering a search pattern and for the argument of commands like "r" and
            "f". Please check in the next version that this works well.

            100. The most exciting sporting events you noticed during summer 1996
            was Netscape vs. Microsoft.