Re: Switching XIM on and off

  • Nam SungHyun
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2001
      namsh wrote:
      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > Wouldn't it be better if xim_set_preedit() doesn't call xim_set_focus()?
      > > Instead we would call xim_set_focus() in the same places where the ":lmap"
      > > mappings are enabled, to switch between English and language characters.
      >
      > Windows and Unix is different. I have no knowledge (especially Windows).
      > Next is just my experience.
      >
      > Windows: First of all, VIM always connect to IME.
      >
      > While input english, it acts like OverTheSpot(or OnTheSPot).
      > While input multibyte, it acts like OffTheSpot, but somewhat

      I made a mistake. Correct above line to:

      While input multibyte, it acts like Root, but somewhat

      > different to XIM. IME send a ONE multibyte to VIM when composing
      > ends.
      >
      > Unix :
      > Root: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      > character shown in another window that created by
      > XIM.
      > OffTheSpot: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      > character shown in Statue Area. VIM support status
      > area to XIM.
      > OverTheSpot: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      > character shown in VIM's cursor position.
      > OnTheSpot: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      > VIM can draw the character using callback.
      >
      > I believe VIM cannot set 'Native language' or 'English' Mode.
      > VIM only can do 'enable' or 'disable' XIM. and user set language
      > mode manually. Well, in my case, when XIM enabled, it enters to
      > previous language mode. But, I think it's not the same
      > situation in Windows (Origin and English mode).
      >
      > And why VIM got a multibyte word, I guess because there can
      > be conversion occured. Hangul-Word <--> Chinese Word.
      > (Or maybe Katagana-Word <--> Hiragana-Word <--> Chinese-Word)...
      > In windows, user may convert ONE by ONE?
      > Well, it's not normal in Korea. Most of us use Hangul only.
      > But specific case, user input Hangul, and can convert it to
      > Chinese.
      >
      > Like windows, OverTheSpot and OnTheSpot can always connect to XIM, I think.
      > There's no difference when user inputs English (OverTheSpot/OnTheSpot).
      > But, OffTheSpot and Root, it's painful to input English (the character
      > shown area).
      >
      > I hope it clears issues.
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > namsh

      namsh
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
        Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:

        > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > >
        > > Wouldn't it be better if xim_set_preedit() doesn't call xim_set_focus()?
        > > Instead we would call xim_set_focus() in the same places where the ":lmap"
        > > mappings are enabled, to switch between English and language characters.
        >
        > Windows and Unix is different. I have no knowledge (especially Windows).
        > Next is just my experience.
        >
        > Windows: First of all, VIM always connect to IME.
        >
        > While input english, it acts like OverTheSpot(or OnTheSPot).
        > While input multibyte, it acts like OffTheSpot, but somewhat
        > different to XIM. IME send a ONE multibyte to VIM when composing
        > ends.

        OK, so for English mode the IME is still used.

        > Unix :
        [...]
        > I believe VIM cannot set 'Native language' or 'English' Mode.
        > VIM only can do 'enable' or 'disable' XIM. and user set language
        > mode manually. Well, in my case, when XIM enabled, it enters to
        > previous language mode. But, I think it's not the same
        > situation in Windows (Origin and English mode).

        When the XIM is disabled, this means you can type English, right? Thus isn't
        switching the XIM on/off nearly equal to switching between English and
        language mode?

        92. It takes you two hours to check all 14 of your mailboxes.

      • Nam SungHyun
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
          >
          > > Unix :
          > [...]
          > > I believe VIM cannot set 'Native language' or 'English' Mode.
          > > VIM only can do 'enable' or 'disable' XIM. and user set language
          > > mode manually. Well, in my case, when XIM enabled, it enters to
          > > previous language mode. But, I think it's not the same
          > > situation in Windows (Origin and English mode).
          >
          > When the XIM is disabled, this means you can type English, right?
          > Thus isn't switching the XIM on/off nearly equal to switching between
          > English and language mode?

          When the XIM is disabled, VIM got a character from the X(?).
          When the XIM is enabled, user can select language mode.
          And XIM handle user input and send a character to VIM both english
          character or native language.
          Because english character does not need to compose, XIM send the
          character immediately.

          regards,

          namsh
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
            Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:

            > > > Unix :
            > > [...]
            > > > I believe VIM cannot set 'Native language' or 'English' Mode.
            > > > VIM only can do 'enable' or 'disable' XIM. and user set language
            > > > mode manually. Well, in my case, when XIM enabled, it enters to
            > > > previous language mode. But, I think it's not the same
            > > > situation in Windows (Origin and English mode).
            > >
            > > When the XIM is disabled, this means you can type English, right?
            > > Thus isn't switching the XIM on/off nearly equal to switching between
            > > English and language mode?
            >
            > When the XIM is disabled, VIM got a character from the X(?).
            > When the XIM is enabled, user can select language mode.
            > And XIM handle user input and send a character to VIM both english
            > character or native language.
            > Because english character does not need to compose, XIM send the
            > character immediately.

            Let's use an example: You are inserting Korean characters, thus XIM is set to
            your language mode. Then you hit <Esc> and you want to type some Normal mode
            command, like "j". Currently, the user has to first switch the XIM mode to
            English, right? That is an extra action the user has to do.

            My idea was that when Vim switches from Insert mode to Normal mode, the XIM
            would be disabled, thus the typed characters are obtained directly, and you
            don't need to switch language mode in the XIM. When you enter Insert mode
            again, the XIM would be enabled and you are back in your language mode
            automatically.

            Thus the idea is to avoid the need to have the user manually switch his XIM
            between English and language mode.

            95. Only communication in your household is through email.

          • Nam SungHyun
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > > > [...]
              > > >
              > > > When the XIM is disabled, this means you can type English, right?
              > > > Thus isn't switching the XIM on/off nearly equal to switching between
              > > > English and language mode?
              > >
              > > When the XIM is disabled, VIM got a character from the X(?).
              > > When the XIM is enabled, user can select language mode.
              > > And XIM handle user input and send a character to VIM both english
              > > character or native language.
              > > Because english character does not need to compose, XIM send the
              > > character immediately.
              >
              > Let's use an example: You are inserting Korean characters, thus XIM is
              > set to your language mode. Then you hit <Esc> and you want to type
              > some Normal mode command, like "j". Currently, the user has to first
              > switch the XIM mode to English, right? That is an extra action the
              > user has to do.

              Yes. Terminal+xim+vim user should do that.

              > My idea was that when Vim switches from Insert mode to Normal mode,
              > the XIM would be disabled, thus the typed characters are obtained
              > directly, and you don't need to switch language mode in the XIM. When
              > you enter Insert mode again, the XIM would be enabled and you are back
              > in your language mode automatically.
              >
              > Thus the idea is to avoid the need to have the user manually switch his XIM
              > between English and language mode.

              So, you will apply my patch (at least edit.c patch), right? :)
              And then, gvim user has a benefit than terminal-version.

              regards,

              namsh
            • Chong-Dae Park
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
                On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 12:54:37PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > Let's use an example: You are inserting Korean characters, thus XIM is set to
                > your language mode. Then you hit <Esc> and you want to type some Normal mode
                > command, like "j". Currently, the user has to first switch the XIM mode to
                > English, right? That is an extra action the user has to do.

                Yes. You are right.
                But... Many programmers are also feel that this is stupid.
                And there is a hack. If a user types <ESC>, XIM changes mode to English
                automatically.

                (It makes emacs users unhappy and make patchs that make this behavior
                optional.)

                As I know, Windows Input Method does not support it because Windows is not
                VI-friendly.

                --
                Chong-Dae Park
                -- ' C-language Edition
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
                  Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:

                  > So, you will apply my patch (at least edit.c patch), right? :)
                  > And then, gvim user has a benefit than terminal-version.

                  Yes, I will now include the switching of XIM on/off. I'll do that for Insert
                  mode, entering a search pattern and for the argument of commands like "r" and
                  "f". Please check in the next version that this works well.

                  100. The most exciting sporting events you noticed during summer 1996
                  was Netscape vs. Microsoft.